Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Should I carry a pillion? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Should I carry a pillion?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Should I carry a pillion?

"I passed my direct access two months ago and have been riding every day since. I am confident commuting to work and riding on local roads but I am worried about taking a pillion. "I have been able to put off my nagging girlfriend because of the cold weather, but now it’s getting warmer I’m running out of excuses. I am...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 14:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SprocketSet

Apr 13

SprocketSet says:

Back Seat Drivers

The best advice is usually the oldest and wisest and it goes something like this; if you are confident in your own abilities then there is no reason not to start riding with a pillion. But, and this is a big but, take it easy because your motorcycle regardless of type will behave very differently with the extra load over the rear wheel. Make sure tyre pressures are adjusted as per manufacturers spec and start on roads you know well and ride well within your abilities. Do not scare your pillion, it will hurt when they dig you in the ribs.

If all goes well, build up the journeys and enjoy. I recently returned from a journey to Tuscany two up. MAGIC.  

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Options

First up make sure you're not overloading the rear too much that your steering suffers.  You may need to up the rear preload to take the extra weight into account.  Secondly try changing up without using the clutch.  It'll make your gear changes far smoother and you won't unsettle your pillion with constant backwards and forwards movement.  Third, keep it smooth, you're the rider so you will know what to expect from your machine, but your pillion is completely dependent on you, so don't go dragging off the lights.  Lastly I have a rule that I won't take someone pillion if they can't ride a bicycle.  The last thing you want when you tip it into a corner is for your pillion to lean the other way.  Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
sleeping thunder

May 07

Just go for it .

Just go for it only you know your limits & carrying a pillion is no secret black art like rideing with a sidecar is.Just dont dump the clutch & if your on some razor sharp race rep be prepared for squashed nuts & banging helmets kinky.Good Luck.

Reply to this Topic
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

Whenever you do it you will be nervous!

Took my mate out (today actualy) for his first pillion trip! I gave him a brief " tap once to let me know that you want to adjust your position" Because someone randomly bouncing around behind you is.... well an experiance. This let me prepare and brace when he did.

I did tell him to wait until we were on a straight.

More than one tap meant he wanted to stop.

If they are new to being a pillion, tell them not to lean either way. Just stay in line with the bike, until you and they are comfortable doing so. Nothing worse than someone leaning in the OPOSITE direction to the turn. Your bike will want to sit up like a begging dog!!!

A good way to show them how to lean is sit them on the back both your feet planted on the floor. Get them to lean 3-4inches over each side. Shows them they wont fall off and that the bike wont fall over! It will also show you what weight you will have to work with.

Adjust your rear spring. Really, really helps!

Pleanty of rear break as the front will get lighter and will redude the headbutting. Expect that, she will twat you a few times in the back of your bonce!

Make the first few, short trips. 10mins or so. Go to a cafe or pub sit chat, then get back on.

RELAX, ENJOY IT, ASK FOR A BLOWY! Im not sure which one is more important though!!!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Hmmm

My introduction to being a pillion was on the back of a "Gixxer Thou" being ridden around a track by a 2-time AMA Champion and FIM World Endurance Champion team membet - definitely the right way to start people off.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices