Skip to content

Discuss This How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station?

It’s cold, fingers are numb, the sun is setting and there’s still twenty frosty miles left before the warmth of home. But first it’s time for petrol: pull up at the station, unhook the nozzle and the digits won’t budge. A puzzled look at the attendant is met with a tannoy announcement: “Can you remove your helmet please”. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 15:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i take the helmet off

but then when i've paid i will stand at the till (preventing anyone else getting there) and put all my kit back on. always take your time over this to make sure the queue behind is suitably pissed off!

Reply to this Topic
graingerblaze

Apr 05

Mmmmmm

I bought a flip front helmet and in the past 5 years have never been asked to remove my lid. I just hinge the front up, they can see my face and I can see where I'm pouring the petrol, simples!

However for those who have and love full face helmets, you shouldn't have to remove your lid! In the same way religious groups don't have to remove any clothing when shopping, why should we?

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

3 words

Pay. At. Pump.

Use whenever possible. Problem averted.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Would Piss Me Off

having to remove my helmet.  Especially when it's pissing down or cold as fuck cuz you have to remove your gloves to undo the chin strap as well.  Then putting it back on, you spend time tucking your collar under the neck roll, strapping on and putting gloves back on.  Time consuming.  I agree that I would take as much time as I could afford in allowing the que to back up and piss everyone else off.  Might even make a call for a while just to prove a point.

Lucky for me I live somewhere where that isn't an issue.  We put our debit cards in at the pump (everywhere) and start fueling up.  No reason for anyone to see a face when you pay at the pump.  Paying at the attendant desk...how quaint.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Never

been asked!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmm funny you should ask

On a recent visit to Cornwall in Freezing cold weather, short of fuel I called into a garage and stood like an Idiot waiting for the fuel to start, It didn,t until I removed my helmet,Unplugged all the heated kit pealed my Snot covered neck tube from my numb face and placed my helmet on the ground. When I asked the Attendant Why I had to remove my Helmet he replied " so that we can see your face" I asked why he would want to see my face "To stop people like you, riding off without paying" How pissed off was I ?????? oh and he also said "You have a nice day" Must have been in that Garage for about 25 mins all told.

Reply to this Topic
garethpn

Dec 12

garethpn says:

Usually use pay at pump

... if I know I have to go in to pay, I take it off, call me old fashioned, but I don't feel right wearing a helmet in-doors. If I was asked to take it off over the tannoy, I would ride on to the next place, provided I had enough fuel. If the word "tannoy" isn't derived from the words "to annoy", then it should be.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

If they

want to see me head, I get my cock out for them.

Then I leave the pump looking like a painter's radio.

Reply to this Topic
StupidRider

Jul 09

StupidRider says:

If no pre pay option...

I find that simply ignoring the inconsiderate garage attendant asking you to remove your lid over the speaker works well! After 30 seconds or so of pretending to wonder why the pump won't work they tend to just turn it on I find :)

Reply to this Topic
Peakrider2012

Feb 13

Equality

I usually pay at the pump but when asked, I explain that biking is my religion. As such, i shouldn't have to remove it as you dont have to remove burkas, turbans,jedi gear etc.

People do not have to remove baseball caps, beanies, hoods or triby's. Basically it is the usual predjudice.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices