Skip to content

Discuss This How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station?

It’s cold, fingers are numb, the sun is setting and there’s still twenty frosty miles left before the warmth of home. But first it’s time for petrol: pull up at the station, unhook the nozzle and the digits won’t budge. A puzzled look at the attendant is met with a tannoy announcement: “Can you remove your helmet please”. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 15:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

As I understand it, if they ask you to take off your helmet before filling up, then you have to. For example, my local station has notices on the pumps informing you of this. However, if they refuse to take payment without you removing your helmet, I believe this is a much greyer area. Certainly in Scotland, it used to be that if you make a bona fide and *reasonable* attempt to pay and they refuse for a irrational reason then the problem becomes theirs, not yours. (ie. they don't accept Bank of England currency or they suddenly require you to take off your helmet before they'll accept payment when they have let you fill up with it on) Personally if they ask me to take it off before filling up, that's reasonable. Motorcycle helmets hide the face and if you ride off you can't be identified.. and no.. there's no religious reason to wear a helmet. However, if someone refuses to take the £20 I'm holding out to them if I don't take off my helmet with no prior warning... then my answer is "Do you want to be paid or not?"

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

What problem?

If, like I do, you wear a ski mask in winter taking your helmet off isn't enough... the mask has to come off... which is tucked into the jacket around the shoulders... then your earplug pops out & lands in a pool of diesel... & you now have to half take your jacket off or ride home without tucking the mask in (40miles @ -8)... Morrison's even ask you to do it before using the pay-at-pump... that was 2 years ago... they lost between 2 & 4 thousand pounds a year in this customer... & that's just in petrol... my wife doesn't get her shopping or petrol there now either... that's a serious amount of money & they were worried about the occasional rider absconding with a small tank of petrol & they wonder why their profits are down... idiots.

Who the hell robs 14 or 15 litres of fuel ffs?... nick a Sierra & fill up 4 bikes worth & they still won't get your face under a baseball cap!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

never happened

so far , but if did i would do as they ask and advise them i wont be back as there are less prejudice retailers in the world , i tend to fill up at the same places most times and find folks friendly , though i did once get asked what pump when there were only 2 customers at the filling station . 

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

@hedgehog There are bampots out there that will do it for 15 litres of fuel. It happens often enough at some garages, most especially with scooters, that the police even have a nickname for it. (Although I can't remember what it is right now.) That said, I bet the scooters are stolen!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Titos...

So they lost thousands of pounds in revenue just from me & it's mostly the occasional scooter rider nicking less than a tenner's worth of fuel... genius!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

WTF

Is a "Bampot"......?

Reply to this Topic
UrbanT1G3R

Feb 13

UrbanT1G3R says:

Prejudiced.

I've only been asked once at a petrol station and i never went to it again. It ruins the nice easy flow of a sunday ride with the mates for you to be asked to take your gloves, helmet, AND neck sock (for reasons I do not know, gun in my neck? O.o) and waste 5-10 mins fiddling with it all trying to put it somewhere on the ground which isnt sodden with diesel or petrol (because my seat is too small to fit my helmet on) then another 5-10 mins getting it all on with your mates sitting around waiting for you. Not to mention the scowls of drivers as you take it off and they realise you're going to be a lot longer than they thought... I can't imagine they challenge people wearing BURKAS or whatever they are called because that's apparently discrimination. Well surely this could be classed as discrimination too?

The next thing will be take off all hats and sunglasses and god knows what else, we'll probably have to walk into the shop in our underwear next year...

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

I accuse them of being racist because they sure don't ask a woman wearing a burkha to remove it before they can fill up! That is a fact I have witnessed many times.

If I can I'll just ride off, if I really need the fuel then I'll remove my helmet and take 20 mins to put it all back on again making the car drivers wait causing a queue and an argument! A clearly lay blame on the attendent and when they then ask to move the bike I'll then ask them how I'll do that carrying my gloves and helmet!

Ask the attendent to look after your £500 helmet and their mood changes quite quickly.

Anyhow, the police use the name bilking to describe petrol theft from garages.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Works both ways

Last time, I removed my helmet. Then returned a day or so later. This time with the Environment Agency in tow. Closed the forecourt for the next 2 hours while we examined the source of the spills on the pumps, checked the state of interceptor drains, and found out none of the staff on duty that day had any training in environmental protection. Including the guy who'd insisted I remove my lid. Do you know how good it felt to cost them thousands, then make a final comment to the slack-jawed yokel before I left: "You'll be able to identify me in future - even if I'm wearing my lid..." Power. Goes both ways.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

so...

Bampot.......?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle