Skip to content

Discuss This How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

How do you react to being asked to remove your helmet at a petrol station?

It’s cold, fingers are numb, the sun is setting and there’s still twenty frosty miles left before the warmth of home. But first it’s time for petrol: pull up at the station, unhook the nozzle and the digits won’t budge. A puzzled look at the attendant is met with a tannoy announcement: “Can you remove your helmet please”. pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 15:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

I'm happy to take it off - it makes a great alternative shopping basket for the booze, snacks, etc. Anyone tried putting on a burkha/hijab over the top of the helmet ? I'd love to get a fully waterproof urban camouflage burkha, walk into Morrisons and GoPro the whole thing.....

Reply to this Topic
Cosmiccoo2

May 12

Cosmiccoo2 says:

Petrol Station

first off i work in a petrol station, We always ask people to remove helmets or take their hood down if filling a car, I don't have a problem with this as every biker i know is brand new but some people i work with feel a little discouraged with having someone show up and you can't see their face, however if its a flip-up we don't have a problem cause we can see faces but then again a know a lot of bikers feel discriminated by this, its the same story with asking not to sit on the bike while filling up either.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

I'm glad this has come up

for umpteenth time!

Hang on ................

No I'm not.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

Yes I could just take my helmet off but I don't like discrimination and that's what it feels like. So fuck em I'll go to the next garage.

If the garage is worried about theft they should make you pay before you pump like they do in the states.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

trickyd!  It was only a thought about legal action, I'm not an expert, but you could argue their facilities are not fit for purpose regarding motorcycles coz we don't have handbrakes. titosfuneral!  I looked up bampot as you suggest and it sounds to me like their interpretation is a corruption of 'barmpot' or maybe vice versa. Never heard of the urban dictionary before today so I've learnt something.

Reply to this Topic
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

All the filling stations I use have credit card input at the pump.  

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Never take it off

When the petrol station can supply somewhere clean and safe for me to leave my lid then I'll take it off. I have only ever had flip ups and have only once been asked to remove my lid - by a talking pillarbox! Her manager couldn't see the irony of her request so that garage never got my custom again. No one else has had a problem with me flipping the front face up. I do think however that if I would lift the lid up above my face and rest it there if I was wearing a fullface just out of courtesy.

Reply to this Topic
megadooomer

Jan 11

megadooomer says:

Tannoy? You where lucky.

Been to one place, didn't even get the courtsy of a  tannoy.  Parked up flipped the front of my lid.  Waited no answer had to go and ask why they're pumps weren't working still had to fully remove my helmet before the turned the pumps on. 

used  the garage previously no problems at all. 

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Cosmiccoo2, you don't "always" ask people to show their faces, do you?

You wouldn't ask someone wearing a hijab or niqab to remove it, would you? There is discrimination here, but it's positive, and sadly that's just fine legally. To win this argument, we'd need to find an actual female Muslim (or similar positive-discrimination type) biker to insist that her helmet is protecting her from the eye-groping. Anyone know one?

Reply to this Topic
multimark

Jun 09

multimark says:

Pork Pies as well

Some may think it a bit 'old school', but I have a shoei multitech flip front lid. (On a 990 SMT !)It is quiet, fairly light and you can sip water and eat pork pie with it on. Flipped up its no problem in petrol stations, even supermarkets. Regards Mark

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices