Skip to content

Discuss This How often do you clean your motorcycle? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > How often do you clean your motorcycle?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

How often do you clean your motorcycle?

How often do you clean your motorcycle? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 359 days ago (22 April 2013 16:38)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

How could I wash my bike after every ride.

I ride it to work, I ride it to get me lunch, I ride it back to work, I ride it home.

And it's nice to get out in the evening too.

Then at the weekend....................

Reply to this Topic
BobLeDuc

Jul 11

BobLeDuc says:

Nort every ride, but I like to stay on intimate terms with all the bits.....Just like a pilot does a pre flight check of his aircraft. I like to give the bike a good going over before heading up to the mountains for a good day of riding  "on the pace" and giving it a good cleaning afterwards, often the next day. Keeps you aware of things being where they belong....but then again, I ride Ducatis and an old Triumph.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

4000 miles

The dealer washes them as part of the scheduled maintenance.

Reply to this Topic
captaincoconut

Mar 13

I usually try and clean mine once a week. Doesn't always work out, and when the weather has been good and dry then it's not so imperrative that I do. But I use my bike for commuting so does about 500 miles a week without the weekend riding, so I do feel it needs the love I can spare. Chain cleaning and maintaining even more so. Got it down to a fine art of getting the thing really well cleaned (chain included) within and hour and half.

but each to their own. I like to keep mine clean as I can, and as others have mentioned, gives me the chance to look it over and see if there's anything that needs fixing.

Reply to this Topic
graingerblaze

Apr 05

I try not too...

I kept my last bike so clean that I didn't use her unless the weather was perfect... what a waste! I kept her clean for the re-sale investment argument, but even if I only cleaned her once a year and just before I sold her she would have still fetched similar money... what an idiot!

So now I ride my Mille ever day, no matter the weather and clean it as little as possible. After all my bikes Italian and they don't like water, corrosion and electric problems galore if cleaned after every trip. 

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

quick clean

I ride about 1000 miles per month and everyday commuting here is my routine 1. Hose it down with cold water 2. Spray with mild car shampoo (muck off is too strong and washes off my ACF50) 3.Wait for a couple of minutes then hose it off,wipe down with a bit of cloth to get off any stubborn muck) 4. Spray with DP60 if needed (DP60 is fantastic everyday lubricant and can be bough for around £1.10 a tin. 5.If feeling it needs a quick polish (Mr Sheen) My black NC700S is kept outside and ridden in all weathers and looks terrific.

Reply to this Topic
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

We are supposed to clean them!!!!!

Shit! Now you tell me!

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

After thirty odd years i now own a Harley, it is the most expensive bike i have ever had and believe it or not i ride it all year in any weather because like graingerblaze says in years gone buy keeping my bike clean became something of a fetish and ultimately a complete waste of time,my attitude is sod it just keep it something like i have wasted enough time cleaning them its time to get some milage in,by the way its a fat boy.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle