Skip to content

Ask an Expert What Tourer? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > What Tourer?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

What Tourer?

Need a bike that's comfy for my aged body.I need to sit upright and not stretch to the bars.I would like something     that's a bit different from the usual Bandit's,CBF's.VFR'S etc

4--6k is the price range.What should i get guys?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 18:50)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

i like unfashionables

like the beemer f800st or honda deauville 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tourer

I picked up a 1200RT in January and it is about as comfortable as it gets.  These will getting within the upper reaches of your budget.  I also have an FZS1000 and that is day long comfortable as well.  My knees are shagged as a result of my Rugby-playing years but I can still put in a full day on the Fazer without any problems.  I rate the first generation Fazer highly - it is a very rapid road bike that is capable of distance work in comfort. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

How Tall, How far?

The Deauville is a very good tourer in this price range. You will be able to get a fairly new one. Handling could be better, performance isn't great although much faster than cars and quite rapid when thrashed (I have had two) but it is all day comfy and is good for the taller amongst us. Much smaller than 30 inch inside leg and it can be a bit of a handful if you have to push... Insurance is as cheap as it gets...
The F800ST or GT is quite a bit smaller than the Deau. Less comfy for longer trips (over 100 miles) and the fairing won't keep the rain off as much but its easier to move around and quite a bit more fun. Running costs are very low - petrol consumption is much better than most, servicing is every 6000 miles and there isn't much done. It has a belt drive which really is zero maintenance (like a shaft). It has a very well documented fault with the fuel pump (I had mine replaced once and the wiring once in 18 months ownership) otherwise the build quality and accessories are much better than a usual Japanese bike.
If you are prepared to put up with a chain and want something different should also look at a Suzuki VStrom or a Kawasaki Ver Sys particularly if you are taller than 5 foot 9 or so. The ER6 had a few issues with exhaust pipes so expect the same with the VerSys...
As Markus states the Big Fazer (FZS1000/FZ1) is absolutely gorgeous and really easy to ride although probably quite high on insurance. Easier to ride than my ER6 was and yet blisteringly fast if you want to be (I had one as a courtesy bike early in my riding career). Ironically a good choice if you are slightly small as the bike is fairly compact too...
If you want to go exotic how about a Moto Guzzi? If you have a nearby dealer since they will need servicing sometimes (every 6000) the Breva 1100/1200 are very comfy, easy to ride and have a real character and yet are much cheaper than the R1200 BMWs (which you cannot afford). They don't have a fairing so are often fitted with screens...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices