Skip to content

SUZUKI Staff Blog: Bird Strikes GSX-R750

You are in... Forums > SUZUKI > GSX-R750 > Staff Blog: Bird Strikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Tim Thompson  says:

Staff Blog: Bird Strikes

I'm developing a theory, or at least something more substantial than a random thought, that birds have it in for my Suzuki GSX-R750. Pigeons definitely don't like it.  Each morning they wait in numbers in the long grass until it's close, then, steady lads, explode from the verge in a syncronised show of disgust. Earlier this week a red kite,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 363 days ago (24 April 2013 10:03)

Post a message in GSX-R750

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fevs

Jul 11

fevs says:

you shouldda

bought a kwak! Statistically the safest bike on UK roads. A recent survey showed that Kwak owners are safer riders on the roads by a ratio of 6:1 compared to Suzuki owners.

Reply to this Topic
prdh

Jun 11

prdh says:

Clever Birds

Possibly because you are running-in the GSX-R and you are going slower than they expect, they think they have more time to move out of your way (except the pheasant they're just dumb)? Or am I giving them to much credit? lol

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Many years ago I hit a pheasant that was on the other side of the road and ran into the bash plateof the bike (KLR) as I passed. I've since discovered that different birds behave in different ways when startled.

Pheasants will run in the direction that thay are pointing irrespective of whether the danger is infront of them or behind them. Most hedgerow birds and pigeons will fly away from the direction of the danger. Large birds (eg raptors etc), generally try to take off in to the wind to help give them lift and get them off the ground earlier. If they can't do that then they'll be a little bit slower getting airborne. You can therefore second guess to a degree what the bird is likely to do and anticipate before the event.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Avoid parking under trees.

I think the birds aim for the seat if you do.

Oh, the other type of bird strike.  ;)  I had to duck (pun intended) to avoid a low flying turkey while riding the Honda Elite (Lead) 110 through town.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Bird strikes.

Use your horn. Birds don't seem to respond to movement in their direction until the last minute, but sound your horn (even a typically weedy bike one) and they get out of the way sooner. Regarding fevs' comment about Kawasakis being safer, it must be the induction roar!

Pheasants must be the stupidest birds although I fear deer-strikes more round my way.

In other ornithological news, the recent reintroduction of the aforementioned Red Kite to England (from Scandinavian stocks, I think) was just someone's vanity project and should never have occurred. Majestic though they are, they're an alien species now, competing with buzzards and crows.

Ah, birds and bikes!

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

BMW C1 should do the job... ;-)

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Pheasants

Pheasants.....when frightened a pheasant often doubles back on it's self, so a bird which was crossed left to right will often fly back to the left right into your path................ Yes Pheasants are really stupid

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Deer

Ask yourself was that the first member of the herd to cross or the last and slow down.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

birds

Ive only hit two birds, but come close a few times, the worst was a sparrow! I was travelling in europe, on a rather straight road, strung out in a group of bikes, we were maxing out the bikes, then a sparrow flew out of a hedge and hit my boot, it felt like i had kicked a brick wall, not overly funny! Second time I half ran over a pheasant going around a bend on a country road, the bike lost its line and kicked out a bit, also not funny. All in all birds are a serious risk to bikers, and the quicker you go...... etc, If a sparrow can give you a sore foot I really wouldnt want contact with a Red Kite !

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

The fattest, dumb fucking pheasants are everywhere near me. They seem to tactically jump out of hedges or banking's at chest height then go ape shit when stuck against your chest and shit everywhere. Sheep are a big problem as well when they get out of the fields onto the roads. Worst ive seen was when i came over a left handed crest to be greeted with a flock of sheep, just about stopped without hitting them. Decided to walk to the top of the crest and stop bikes as its a popular bike road to see a fireblade come flying over the crest and hit the sheep, no chance of breaking in time. He said it was the softest crash he has had and killed a few sheep. Protect bikers, cull wildlife.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle