Skip to content

Discuss This Nominate the best place to live! General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Nominate the best place to live!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Nominate the best place to live!

MCN wants your nominations for the best place in the UK for motorcyclists to live. We'll use your answers in a forthcoming feature. We're interested in places with access to great roads, bike meetings, events, tracks and races. We want to hear about cities, towns or villages but not entire counties or regions. It could be somewhere famous for a big...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 April 2013 16:25)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Nowhere in the UK inspires me to ride. I ride because I like bikes but I hate the conditions I have to ride in. I hate the traffic, ignorant and poorly trained 4 wheeled users, the poorly maintained roads, poorly lit roads at night, speed cameras, speed bumps (ooh sorry, meant cushions) and the weather for 48 weeks of the 52 week year. Given the choice and a suitable bank account with funds that allow me not to work- I would be off to southern Spain tomorrow. Sod the UK!

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

For more bike aware car drivers and perfect roads, go to just about any another country in the world including the USA, but Italy/Germany/Austria/Switzerland are almost perfect, will add I was driving a car in Portugal/Spain a few months back and i'd go there on the bike as the roads are perfect. 

Scotland has a lot of issues with poor road surfaces and bad unsafe road design/signage, poor road markings, but this just adds to the technical difficulty ! ( in fact i'd say that a lot of our roads are more technical than a lot of roads on the mainland of Europe, including the alps). 

Scotland might not have the weather but it does have miles and miles of roads that you can get your teeth into and find your own pace and rhythm.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Easy...

Outskirts of London. (1) Can keep a bike safely at your house without it going walkies in the middle of the night;  (2) Wide mix of country roads around north Essex and over to Bedfordshire that are good to ride; (3) London riding - can't beat jousting with the cagers most days in the urban jungle, and free parking as well (minus the cost of an Almax!).

Vote for north of Scotland as well, but only for the 2-3 days a year when the sun is out!  Easier option is to ride to Southampton and ferry down to Santander. Guaranteed weather and no more expensive than hauling up north for unpredictable weather. And midges - god I hate those things!

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Best place to live for me would be where ever Kelly Brook lives but do not tell the wife.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

venturer

"For more bike aware car drivers and perfect roads, go to just about any another country in the world including the USA..."

Have you actually ridden a motorcycle in the US? We have rotten cagers and crumbling roads.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

err like I get about a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M51GeOJM_Ks&list=UUx9jrdR0SrnMmpYTf2tViag&index=431

if you were testing a motorbikes suspension or are a skilled rider then Scotland is the place to do it, as our road are shite, i'd class them as 3rd world. i'm not just saying that, I have photographs prove it, but don't let that stop you, we have roads that you can ride for like 50 miles without any towns, not some pish route that you have a town every 7 miles, so come to Scotland, you will be very welcome.  

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

New Mills in the peak district.Handy for the superb roads nearby or a quick ride across the border into Wales & plenty of offroad tracks to enjoy aswell.Lots of race tracks within an hrs ride too.I've been lucky enough to live in many parts of the UK but that is my favorite place.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

US Roads

Some of our roads are barely passable on a Honda Elite (Lead) 110 - had to push a few times to get out of mud-holes.

sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/401149_2725065337314_1033755898_n.jpg

Reply to this Topic
rafolian

Sep 12

rafolian says:

Johnnyalpha

Re Johnnyalpha, THE don't speak English, and I think THE call bends. I think YOU can't speak much English. Think you mean THEY you ILLITERATE TWAT!

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Not a good idea

To give out this kind of info because as you do the police are instructed to target those areas then even though you have nice roads you have to poodle along them not enjoying them.

Also, not all riders are equal, some can hardly handle the machines they buy, I was watching a rider only yesterday on an old cb 250 rs it made me cringe to watch this guy I doubt he made it home in one piece his driving was so bad, not because he was driving too fast oh no, speed was not his issue, his whole riding demeanour was just so bad wobbling all over the place, nearly swerving into a bus, almost losing it on a very small pot hole, and then driving up the side of a line of traffic almost getting himself knocked off by on coming traffic due to his own fault of taking up way too much space and trying to cut into a space rather than holding back.

Anyway not a good idea to give out the best places on a forum much better to email it around to people you know, keep it mum.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices