Skip to content

HARLEY-DAVIDSON Staff Blog: Are Harley's cool? STREET BOB

You are in... Forums > HARLEY-DAVIDSON > STREET BOB > Staff Blog: Are Harley's cool?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ped Baker  says:

Staff Blog: Are Harley's cool?

A couple of years ago I asked an MCN work experience girl what she thought of motorcyclists. I was hoping she’d use words like ‘cool’, ‘exciting’, perhaps even ‘sexy’ but instead she said, “They’re all old blokes... you think they could be a bit of alright and then they take their helmets off... and they’re all my dad’s age.” She wasn’t talking...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 April 2013 16:38)

Post a message in STREET BOB

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

phenomenologically cool

Depends on your perspective, to me they are two wheeled tassle tractors, to some they are uber cool..... My Bonnie is cool.....

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Cool maybe for a work experience girls Dad but not for me. Although... I quite like the Street Bob....hmmm

I would like an Evel Knievel replica as that is liquid nitrogen in levels of coolness but the rest are a bit beard and leather chaps for me.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Cool

is always in the eye of the beholder; but all bikes are cooler than non-bikes.

For me, cool and effortless will always go hand in hand. Within the world of bikes, that makes Triumph Bonnies cool, it makes some Harleys cool, it makes those mid-90s Triumph Thunderbird Sports cool. Sportsbikes are only cool in the same way the Subaru Imprezzas or Skylines are cool - all statistics and impressive figures and bragging rights. But that's not effortless, so IMO, not cool. Just as OTT "Trailer queens" of custom bikes aren't cool.

For Harley as a brand, their success may be their own downfall. Non-bikers know Harley; but like Porche they know it as mid-life crisis. Ducati's are "sexy" so are like buying Itallian sportscars....begging for attention. Is that cool? I'm not convinced. IMO, Triumph and Indian are quite cool as brands. Not as ubiquitous, not attention seeking, not too obscure for everyone's eyes to glaze over when you tell 'em what it is. Victory make nice bikes, but its not really a great name. And other brands have little ressonance outside the biking world.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

not cool for me

but I can see the attraction for certain people just wanting to plod around and enjoy the scenery, what puts me off is the overly laden ones with saddlebags [leather] and studs etc. If I wanted a cruiser type bike I would get an old bonnie and strip it back to basics.

Reply to this Topic
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

Ummmmmm thats a tough one!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They are WANK

If you are American the are! That says it all really!

Sorry to all non Harley riding Americans.

Reply to this Topic
Mistafunky

Oct 11

Mistafunky says:

I think Bungle is biased towards Hardly-Ableson's. They're not nearly as cool as he's making out!

Reply to this Topic
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

Mistafunky

I will try harder next time!

I do find it hard to express myself!

Reply to this Topic
Boxer12

Jan 13

Boxer12 says:

COOL?

A motorbike is not cool on it's own, it's all about who rides it and how one rides and behaves on the road! If you try to be cool then you aint cool. As for the girl at MCN, with age comes experience love, stick with your Milky Bar boyfriend.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Bungle1078

I am a USian, and Harley-Davidson's have no appeal to me (other than the XR1200).

Of course, I ride a Honda Dullsville, which is not cool anywhere (but is actually "odd exotic" in the US).

Reply to this Topic
comfysofa

Apr 13

comfysofa says:

First and foremost - if im seen riding something like that shoot me....no offence to harley owners they do look like theyve got pipework from under my sink attached to them. if im honest i think they look right in the right place - a couple of years ago we were on holiday in the states driving past the miami dolphins stadium and there were a couple in the next lane to us - and i did think mmm.....may be i could have a go on one of those, but only there in that scenario - not riding on the m1 or something like that in the howling rain with waterproofs on....

My kids think my bikes are pretty cool (and kids never think their dad is cool) - RSV4 factory and ktm 660 supermotard....having said that they didnt actually say i was cool....just my thoughts...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices