Skip to content

Ask an Expert Loss of Power at High Speed, High Revs Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Loss of Power at High Speed, High Revs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

Loss of Power at High Speed, High Revs

Hi Fellas

I've had this 2004 z1000 since January and have been using it all the time. But only getting to know it better now the weather is improving. I've been messing, to make it handle better and pleased to say it is. Now, new problem yesterday. Under hard acceleration at around 10-11k rpm in most gears the revs go up to max out and the power dips. It feels like the back wheel is spinning but it can't be at 145mph. I thought thats what was happening under 100 but when it was still doing it at over 130 I realised something was wrong. I'm wondering if the clutch is slipping? Or maybe its just red lining in a way i've never encountered before. All in all its a great commuter but isn't turning out to be sporty enough for weekend madness. Maybe I should just get a blade or r1 or someting of that nature. Any Clues as to what it could be? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 April 2013 16:56)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Clutch

Is either badly adjusted or needs replacing ..... oh i would personally take the sump off and clean out all the bits of clutch plate from the oil pump strainer screen as well as it will kill the engine

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

Clutch

The bike still wheelies and feels completely normal, just under extreme load at speed does this happen. I've replaced a clutch on one of these before and they are fairly easy to do.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Power and revs.

I couldn't find an '04 but this '03 Z1000 dyno plot might suggest it is normal.
:unsure:

(Top of green plot).

Didn't you buy this bike to "calm yourself down"? :lol:
Now you're tuning the handling and worrying about power because you're trying to keep up with your sports-bike riding mates, I suppose.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

You could always

get a V4 Tuono, maddest hypernaked i've ever ridden, rides like a supersports bike but with wider bars, comfier riding position and no fairing...sweet:smile

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

I might stand corrected

So the only real way to tell is either on a dyno or to strip the clutch and measure the plates and springs to see whether or not all the parts are still in spec

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

James

Thanks James that does help. It shows that the bikes peak performance is about 10k rpm and drops off after that by quite abit. So there is really no point in changing gear on the rev limiter like sportier bikes. But your right I did buy this bike to "calm down" and I don't keep up.... cause I always ride at the front. lol I hate following, I get this red mist syndrome if I'm behind ( its immature I know). Anyway I am more chilled about this power drop at the top of the revs and give my bikes a good old service every few thousand miles anyway so may check up on the clutch in another few hundred miles just to be safe.

Thanks Fellas

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

In your OP..

..you describe the revs racing off " like the back wheel is spinning".  Unless you've oiled the back tyre, or were riding a diesel slick, you need to get that clutch sorted ASAP!

On second thoughts, maybe the slipping clutch will soon calm you down after all ;)

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

bump

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Smidget mate

did you just bump this post to get to your 2000th post?:winkie:

Bet yea did,there will be a coconut in the post or would you rather have the Goldfish in a plastic bag?:lol:

Haven't answered this post,coz it just sounds like the normal sequence of the ECU retarding the ignition at high R.P.M. just before the rev limiter.(you can fit a ignition retard eliminator to prevent this)

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

KC

No mate I bumped a load of threads so that it got rid of the prat who was trying to free ad his Shat Nav company.

Oh and I think you may be right as to the cause of the problem.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices