You are in... Forums > General > General > Giving up biking

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Giving up biking

I've put £14 in my tank so far this year. What's the point in keeping it? I'm paying a fortune for insurance, it's due a service soon, I'm moving to a place without a garage. Time to give up biking and sell the Fazer. Sad day.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 April 2013 21:47)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
drsqueelgood

Apr 05

drsqueelgood says:

Kim

You've been posting here for a long time. Shame to see you give it up. Why not insure and tax your bike part year and continue to enjoy it in the 3 days of summer we have lol!!:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Why are you not using it? and you haven't been on here

for some considerable time, what's problem? wrong bike? nowhere to ride? what's the solution? different bike? cheap bike that can live outside? cheaper to insure bike? 

Anyway, if you stop for a bit, it's not like you can't come back to riding is it when things change again? You are allowed to have a bike more than once in life :smile chin up, it'll work out in the end :smile

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Thanks for the encouragement

To be honest, I'm being a bit dramatic about it. Truth is that I'm about to sell the flat and buy a house, it's going to take a few grand to do up and I'd rather sell the bike than borrow the money. My other half is going to be training to be a radiotherapist which means I'm going to be the only bread winner for the next two years. Bigger mortgage, bigger bills, cut in income - time to sell the bike! Also, it's an '09 Fazer. Good nick, but it's going to start costing money in the next couple of years, time to pass it on to someone else.

At the start of 2016 I'll be able to get a new mortgage at a cheaper rate than now, my other half should be earning money again and I'll see if I can rent a garage closeby the new house, maybe then I'll think about getting a new motorbike. Perhaps instead of a commuter like the Fazer, something fun like a Striple or bonkers like a 'Busa.

My dad has an SV650S so I'll have access to something to play with every now and again. 

It's just been a kind of ambition realised to get a license, get a bike and go for it. I feel a bit like an urban dullard selling it after all the graft, you know?

I should be back tho!

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Why don't I ride the Fazer tho?

I live in London. I just cycle everywhere. Because the garage I keep the Fazer in is 10 minutes walk away so I can't be arsed to put my draggin' jeans, schlep to the garage, change into biking gear and then actually start off. By the time I've done that I'm already 2 miles down the road on the sodding bicycle! And it's cheap to run. And cycling 16 miles a day keeps the gut in check, the man-boobs at bay and the bum firm(ish). 

And, being married I tend not to go away on little jaunts to visit people as much as I used to. The other half and I used to have the odd jaunt on the bike but it's become a very rare event now, just too busy you know?

Anyway, sell the Fazer, sort out this house and see where we are in a couple of years. 

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Kim

If it's any consolation we had to do the same thing 25 years ago big mortgage young kids.  Neither of us could afford luxuries or god forbid time off work for injuries (we were both self employed) so it had to be.

But.... eventually as everything gets paid off and circumstances get better and responsibilities get less, luxuries come back  bit by bit.

The thing is you have the licence so you will be able to pick it up later.  Hope all works out for you.

Reply to this Topic
TSPRINT

Mar 10

TSPRINT says:

Kim

Same situation many years ago when you have your new house and you have to change address check entitlement is still on your licence mine was not many years passed before I realised so had to take test again        Best wishes t

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Thanks

yeah, thanks - all good to know. My dad was a bit like that. Didn't have a bike for years when I was a kid, but since we left home he's had a couple and is a real sunny day rider now! I think he's earned that through years of riding Nortons and BSAs in his youth when he said he never came back from a rideout without being covered with oil from a road-side repair or two!

Reply to this Topic
NotAnotherHill

Jun 11

Same happened to me

about 20 years ago. Had our first house, first child, and I had only just finished my training post-university. Bike had to go.

Eventually, 2 more children and 2 more house moves on, I bought a Fazer 600 2 years ago and a Fireblade in February. I never thought I'd bike again!

Can you store your bike a your Dad's and SORN it? Drain the petrol. Take out the battery. Sit it out for two or three years?

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

I did think about it

but it's just a Fazer, it's not got any sentimental value or anything - good bike as it is - and the money would be really REALLY handy at the moment. Once my other half's earning again I'll not be supporting the two of us so I'll be able to buy a new bike.

I know, I know, you lose a lot on a brand new bike, but having four totally trouble-free years of riding worked out really well for me.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

work/family etc..

hi, i gave up work in sept to be a stay at home dad.  Bought a bandit as zzr11 was off the road (needed tyres, chain n sprockets for mot) so bought the bandit from a work colleague (£100 a month etc till its paid off)..  so have the bandit and zzr, both been in garage for most of winter (zzr hasnt come out in 2 years but she runs)  if the fazer isnt an issue to you then sell her, get everything done and when monies allow get back in to it.  I done 2500 miles last season, and that was including to and from work but i had a car as well, i rode in shocking weather and after coming off in Jan, i decided no more winter riding, whats the point..freeze yer nackers off, get colds etc..so summer only split between both bikes this year..bandit is cheaper on fuel to blast about on than zzr, so even when both on the road, probably b bandit mostly..some folk have disposable income to blast around and change tyres every few thousand miles..i do not as wife pays the bills...so i take it easy on tyres and (i do have a blast on my own occasionally) take it easy on fuel..i dont drink anymore so thats my luxury i have given up on return that my wife is paying open Uni fees...dont worry its not just you..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices