You are in... Forums > General > General > Viffer

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Viffer

So those who remember, I'm looking for a new bike. I've my eyes on a GSX650F however it has been described as "the poor man's VFR".

Now, I'm pretty poor.

But a VFR is actually a similar price, just you get a slightly older bike but made with Hondaness. There are a couple of concerns in that the cost of ownership of a Honda is, from experience, horrendous (not as bad as BMW) and the fancy VTEC and combined braking system can be costly when it comes to servicing them.

The other issue is that VTEC thing. Some people call it a little step up and some people say it can really destabilise the bike if you happen to drift over 7000rpm in a corner.

Anyone have any experience on what the VTEC was like on the earlier bikes and if it's actually a better bike than the GSX650F. As far as I can see I'd be dealing with something more expensive with similar suspension adjustment that has an engine mode designed for much higher speeds (up to 155mph, although I've seen the police ones do higher than that). Those are speeds I can quite happily live without - I will not exceed 100mph on public roads but I do like to have the capability to get to 100mph very quickly if something goes wrong on a motorway / I need to get out of the way of something.

Part of me thinks go for the cheaper to run bike but part of me sees the Honda quality (my Honda 125 was better built than some of the big bikes I've had) and think it's probably worth it. That said, the best bike I've ever had was a Suzuki and it was cheap to service, etc. I won't use the extra speed and I'm a great fan of linear power production and flat torque curves and that VTEC is an unknown quantity for me.

Advice regarding the above ramble (written whilst moderately high on painkillers and part way through a bottle of black sheep) would be appreciated.

Also considering the BMW F800ST as I hate chains going manky through winter. It costs more to buy but is cheaper to insure. Downsides are tank range and also that I might run into the STUPID cost of BMW servicing again - I'd much rather dip my balls in a horses trough and let horsey lick them dry.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 April 2013 17:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Response

(written mildly high on weed and cider) 

Not ridden the VTEC version (ok, not a good start I know) but the pre VTEC VFR 800FI is an awesome bike all be it a bit heavy, slightly slow to turn in but holds a line once there. Sounds awesome with straight through pipes, just ask gunga :laugh: 

Me I liked the sound and reliability of the gear driven cams so was never interested in the VTEC version.
The build quality is awesome (over built tbh) excepting lower fork legs, reg/rec and the pcb behind the clocks.
Major services every 16000mls inc valve clearances and all fluids cost me about £450, reg yearly services are on par with most faired bikes tbh.
Get one it will not disappoint :smile:smile:smile

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Ridden both

750 & 800 none of which had the Vtec, (that was introduced around 2003/4 I think) both are great to ride, comfy, and will happily embarass more sporty machinery with the right rider on board!:wink: Vtec is basically a gimmick imho though like Pre' I've not ridden one. I'm guessing your wallet thickness is more likely to be in't range of the pre-Vtec VFRs so shop away, service costs are a little higher as the rear cylinder is a pig to get to so can take a bit longer, the (combined) brakes can be tricky to bleed buit are ok once you know what you're doing, best of all is the late 90s Honda build quality. Show us some pics once you've got one! 

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

Might

just be in line to purchase a pre-Vtec one myself if all goes to plan.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

eric

:sunglasses: 

Fit a PipeWerx pipe(I did, carbon stylie)..........bit of a shite mic but it'll sound a bit like this :smile

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

VFR

The VFR is brilliant bike.  Not only will it outlast the GSX but, with long-term ownership, you'll probably spend less in replacing worn parts.  Don't worry about servicing costs either.  I had my pre-VTEC looked after by a local independent dealer and paid around £350 for the full service including valve check.    

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

noted preunit

It does sound rather impressive. How many pennies do I need to set aside for one of those babies?

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

units

on the money fekin awsome

nuf said :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

Found 'em

Less than I thought they were going to be. Just need to hope the bike comes to fruition now.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Got mine on the bay

cost £140ish really can't remember, but new 210 sobs

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

phile

Buy the Horse ......sounds more fun....:lol: