Go to most recent reply

calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Nationalism

Get this guy on question time with Mr Farage :biggrin:

http://youtu.be/QsPDT5qHtZ4

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 April 2013 22:53)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

I predict a riot

Been kinda quiet for you lately CJ.

Any bets on the first negative responder?

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Mostly

negative Responder

Isn't that the new service from the Ambulance Service. Chap turns up, blue lights flashing, looks down at you shakes his head and draws a deep intake of breath before telling you not to buy any LP's.

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

vulcanrider

Nationalism and patriotism are not the same thing.

Nobody would deny your right to be proud of your fathers service record but you are missing an important point. The Nazis were nationalists, the facist movement were/are nationalists. Your father was fighting rampant nationalism. The British troops of WW1 and WW2 are done a disservice by association to nationalism and also by association to the war in Afghanistan.

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Obe

like it!

Vulc, as meatbingo says there is a huge difference between nationalism and patriotism.
Whilst I support our troops, I don't support the reasoning behind sending them there, and unfortunately, getting killed doesn't automatically confer heroism. Getting killed whether on military service or not makes you dead.  Sad but true.
I don't denigrate either past or present servicemen/women, I think its a tough job getting sent to fight with your hands behind your back for largely political reasons. 
As ever, its just an opinion.  You're as entitled to yours as I am to mine.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

this may help

Nationalism
1. devotion and loyalty to one's own nation; patriotism.
2. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
3. the desire for national advancement or independence.
4. the doctrine or policy of asserting the interests of a particular nation over the interests of other nations.
5. a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

patriotism
devotion to one's own country and concern for its defence
Compare nationalism

do not get these 2 words confused with racist
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race. 

Fascism
1. often Fascism
a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

then you have plonkerisam
plonker [ˈplɒŋkə]
n
Slang a stupid person

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Definitions

..No. In this instance, dictionary definitions of the words 'nationalism' and 'fascism' don't help at all.

Nobody suggested they meant the same thing.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Jesus

vulc, little touchy! I happen to find Doug stanhope funny.

It would be a sad little world if we all shared the same sense of humour. Or in some cases completely devoid of any.

You completely missed what stanhope had to say. I am the first to respect the fallen of ww1 and ww2.

Just for the record osc was always asking me to join this lovely forum, I never came on here to cause anyone hassle.

When we split I lost my mechanic, my first post on here was on technical asking for advice.

As for the wooden spoon. That goes to you for dredging up my past. my post was not personal, yours was :huh:

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Cheap shot

To try and get your point across Rog me thinks it's you who should get the spoon:blink:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I don't usually post

on topics like this but..... it's very sad when anyone loses their life either in the army or wherever, but everyone has a choice at the job they do now.

My Dad and grandfather had conscription and didn't have that choice.

Vulc, also a bit below the belt as well I might add:upset:

Vulc this time  I can not concur with your reply.  My opinions on the politics behind these conflicts I may not agree with, but if you choose to sign up then you know what you are signing up for, you can't pick and choose your deployments.

If you don't want to do it, then don't sign on the dotted line.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

PS

CJ thought that was quite an amusing clip :winkie:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale