Skip to content

Discuss This Would you use a helmet / bike camera to record your road riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would you use a helmet / bike camera to record your road riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you use a helmet / bike camera to record your road riding?

There's been a huge surge recently in the number of people recording their daily rides, using bike and helmet cameras to allow them to record what other road users (and themselves) are up to. But it's a double edged sword - do something illegal, and the footage becomes evidence. Delete it afterwards, and you're facing potential jailtime. So do you record...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 354 days ago (01 May 2013 10:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Danny456D

Nov 12

Danny456D says:

oh

and i'm talking about bike riding by the way...

Reply to this Topic
Sehp

Sep 12

Sehp says:

I ride lots of scenic routes, tonnes of country roads, and in my free time ride around 60-150 miles a day when it's a nice day. So many times on group rides or country rides I'd wish I'd had one. Sadly, the pocket disagrees :(

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

I'm going to record everything now after how I was treated after a crash. The vehicle was in the Left only lane and went right but no one around to prove it, the Police were against me from the get go for some reason and the vehicle driver made up witnesses who weren't even around. I was in the hospital cause I broke a bone and so I couldn't make up a story like he did.... I got nothing. He was in left only so I was overtaking him in the right and he suddenly came across, how the fuck am I to blame?

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

no

my riding at time`s may just go over soon speed limits.[only a little]ish,so wouldn`t like to film it ,but can see the benifits having one.would need a star over the speedo!.....not on justbe sorry to hear that.

Reply to this Topic
Bungle1078

Nov 12

Bungle1078 says:

Damn right I do!!!

I have for nearly 2 years now!

Drift 170 stealth and a New Drift HD!

The wifes reaction was not great to start with! "another gadget you wont use!" but it saved my arse when a Dr knocked me off on a roundabout! He came on without giving way and at full chat! my R6 was written off and was off work for a while!

Had it all recorded! and him stating 3 times "i didnt see you" "i wasnt concentrating". No police were called as i lay there! ambulance yes! but he miss reported the collision as a rider off alone!

He claimed that i was speeding and came on to the Rbout without looking and hit him!

(What the %^&^$£$&&$£%&%£%%$^%$)

It took a while to persuade my insurance appointed solicitors to LOOK at the footage, but eventualy they looked at it months down the line. and guess what it was no contest 100% against him.

And had a crash 3 months later wearing the same 170 Stealth. Saved myself from a broken neck! Landed on my head, the camera being there prevented my head from rolling over and causing damage to my neck! The camera skitted off into the distance! and it still bloody works!

Dont get me wrong if you do something stupid and have an off they can use it as evidence! but i am not convinced that they can use it against you if you are just speeding etc! Could be wrong!

I do not go out without one now! You catch some stupid driving though! and if you cant use that as evidence against car drivers bad driving, im sure they cant use it against you!

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Yes and No

I bought a GoPro to use on my ZZR for recording standing start mile events. I have used it on the road but that wasn't the purpose of buying it. This recording was 203.1mph, starts 45 secs in.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpyUmcgu8Q&feature=player_detailpage[/url]

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Put them in helmets

For insurance purposes. In two days I have nearly been hit by car drivers on the phone or texting whilst driving, post the video to plod so these idiots start drivng with more care and attention.

Reply to this Topic
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

be carefull with video

yes, this is something i am considering for the obvious reason of being involved in a accident that wasnt my fault, the video evidence could be crucial for insurance proceedings. However, i do have reservations of people uploading videos onto you tube and maybe falling foul of privacy intrusion laws, for instance, becoming a self styled bad driver vigilante.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I've

had a couple of accidents, one of which was my fault and I was totally honest about. I won't lie to cover my mistakes so a camera is no downside to me. Also, the mount is high up on the bars so it can't see the speedo so if I do go over a bit it's not a problem. I would mount it on my helmet so it sees what I see but it's too heavy and would make a racket with wind noise. The reason I do this is because I had a non fault accident where I was knocked off by a driver no looking, crossing white lines, etc etc where I was filtering perfectly legally (within the white line). He admitted fault and then lied to the insurance company (something I think should lead immediately to prosecution as it just ups everyone's premiums) meaning it took 18 months to sort out. Camera evidence would have shown exactly what happened and there would have been no contest. There are also a couple of drivers who have almost had me off deliberately and I'd have enjoyed having them prosecuted for dangerous driving. A mistake is just that, people not seeing you is annoying but still a mistake. Someone actively trying to push you off the road is someone who needs to be out of a car and walking to work. Video footage can help to do that.

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

I already do!

Its just nice really to have really. I makes me more confident on the road knowing I can prove stuff. Due to the reason me purchasing it, after being hit off and the driver speeding off!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle