Skip to content

Discuss This Do you run a new bike in according to the manufacturer's guidelines? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Do you run a new bike in according to the manufacturer's guidelines?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Do you run a new bike in according to the manufacturer's guidelines?

Whether or not a bike should be run in is one of the perennial questions of biking, with advice from different people telling you different things. Everything from following the guidelines to the letter, to riding it normally, to ragging it straight off are all commonplace. So, how do you do it?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 May 2013 10:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DamianJ

Feb 09

DamianJ says:

Second hand..

I buy a bike with around 2000-3000 miles on the clock.. simples!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Ride by the book until it's got a couple of hundred on... then by the book when cold but turn the wick up when it's fully warmed up, just shy of full performance... until 1st service then nail it.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I did granny mine, but I regret it now.

Have a Google for "mototune method" for why.

Anyone minded to spin yarns about why we need to granny it, please feel free show your gentle-vs-ragged strip down pictures.

Reply to this Topic
yamtcat

Jul 05

yamtcat says:

always

And I think you shoudnt even consider not doing this.

We all love biking yes? All nod to each other and think we part of the same 'club'?

Then should realise not everyone can afford a new bike and I would like to think, when buying used, that the original owner would have taken care of it thinking about the fact someone else will own this in the future.

I always run in as per the book, been caught out once by a crap bike and would hate to inflict that on another biker.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Regardless of what the manual says, this is how I've run in every new bike I've ever bought. Following this method that my head mechanic told me when I was an apprentice, I found that after the initial run in, every bike had cylinder pressures in the upper range and great power. Here's what I do. Load the motor up on power and compression, by varying the revs constantly. This is especially critical for the first 20-100k's. Don't use full throttle for the first 500k's but do give her plenty of stick up to about 60% max rpm. I change the oil after about 100k's or less and the filter. After 500k's I use up to 75% max rpm and then at around 800-1000ks I let her rip after an oil change and filter change. I don't use a synthetic oil until the 4th or 5th oil change. Pussy footing a new motor is a sure fire way of glazing the bore and getting poor ring seating leading to low compression. Treat her mean, keep her keen!

Reply to this Topic
souroush

Nov 11

souroush says:

Been soft on it , sadly.

I , like many others followed the guidelines ( threats ) from the manufacturer ended up with a very mediocre engine . Read it this way , they say if you crack open from the first day you end up with a damaged engine and the life of the engine would be much shorter. I would happily live a shorter but more exciting life .

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Souroush, following the manufacturers recommendations is what will give your engine a short life. I remember my 1984 GPZ900R manual had a similar run in method to what I've used anyway. My 1994 GSXR1100 also had a similar run in method. I believe the method I use is like the one Rogerborg referred to in his post. My GPZ900R had over 100 000ks on it when I sold it, and the cylinder pressures were still in the high mid-range. The key is giving her some stick during run in, constantly alternating power and compression braking, also changing the oil and filter regularly.

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

50/50

Not sure what the benefits or disadvantages are but I've bought 3 new bikes so far and have run them all in the same way which was following the advice of a well respected Crescent Suzuki mechanic from about 10 years ago when I bought the first one which was an SV1000SK3. Second one was a GSXR750K6 & last but not least was a 2008 RSV1000R.

Basically I was told to ALWAYS vary the revs & NEVER hold constant revs & to also go up & down the box like your having a dance off with Fred Astaire. I was also advised to essentialy follow the manufacturers guidlines up until the 600 mile first service & then use 75% of the revs in each & every gear up until the second 1000 mile service. Sounds great in practice but you try using 75% of top gear regularly on any of the above bikes and not getting nicked!

Either way I've got no complaints with the performance or reliabilty for any of them but to be honest I wouldn't know as I had nothing to compare them to and they were each the quickest bike I'd ridden at the time of buying them.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

What guidelines?

the sticker on the tank, the guide in the owners manual and the experience of the spanner man at the show room. were all telling me a differant way to run it in. so i did it the way i always have and thats to lossen it up bit by bit after the first service!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

nope.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle