Skip to content

Discuss This BMW unveil full Adventure-spec middleweight F800GS New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > BMW unveil full Adventure-spec middleweight F800GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

BMW unveil full Adventure-spec middleweight F800GS

BMW has given the middleweight F800GS the full Adventure-spec going over for the first time so the manufacturer for the first time has a bike to tackle the Triumph Tiger 800 XC. The new F800GS Adventure marks the first time BMW has added a more extreme version to the smaller capacity range and follows the years of success with the bigger...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 May 2013 16:44)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Please add ABS and more high-up weight to my offroad bike

Begged nobody, ever.

Is that a long distance tarmac tourer?  A commanding urban commuter?  A credible offroad bike that doesn't need a support crew in 4x4s?

I really don't know.  Does BMW?

Reply to this Topic
loftyjohn

Jun 07

loftyjohn says:

Made the BM look like it's got a fat arse

Reply to this Topic
ImperialManiac

Nov 12

Heavy adventure bikes are pointless, you're more likely to damage yourself when you drop them. So while this bike is less pointless than the 1200 GS, it is still pretty useless for proper off-roading unless you're so skilled that you'll never drop it Behold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzc8wMXL8xY

Reply to this Topic
mx3design

May 13

mx3design says:

Great bike but..

Very comfortable well balanced bike but far too heavy for any off-road other than easy trails.

Reply to this Topic
pmeiss

Jan 12

pmeiss says:

Same old sh!t, different colour

The only thing they ever change on these bikes is the colour...

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

MCN?

"so the manufacturer for the first time has a bike to tackle the Triumph Tiger 800 XC."

Hold on... Triumph built a bike to tackle the 800GS... your own rating gave the XC only one star out of 26 more than the BMW so they were pretty much equal... now BMW have upped the anti... the overall spec (& I suspect price) on this bike is way above that of the XC, ultimately only down on power (but up on torque), which it's most likely to be on a same CC twin v triple... ?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ascutt

Apr 03

ascutt says:

Adventure is not the same a offroad

You do all realize that the 'Adventure' sector is different to the 'DualSport' sector which is different to the 'off-road' sector right? IMHO the Adventure class is all about flexibility (which of course brings compromise). Yes, I will probably drive on lots of tarmac but there will also be gravel roads, sand, mud etc. I want off-road capability but I also want to go more than 80 miles between filling or more than 20 hours between oil & filter changes. I might want to ride out off road each day from my hotel but sometimes I also want to carry a pillion and all her 'products/shoes'. I want to ride with my sports-bike mates on Sunday but I also want to commute 30 miles each way to work. And finally - I want to do all that but I only want to buy/tax/service/insure one bike. Tell me the bikes that fill that list?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Say that again?

"Adventure is not the same [as] offroad [...] I want off-road capability"

Bully for you.  However, the vast majority of the sales will be to Walther von Mitty delusionals whose idea of "off road" is the underground car park at the Crimson Permanent Assurance Ltd.

That said, with the state of the roads around here, I'm genuinely keeping an open mind on getting a long travel soft damped bike for tarmac use. But pretending that I could or would ever take it over anything more challenging than a speed hump, I'll leave that to the experts.

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

finally decent range

Well this is a first. What do the 700cc Honda range and the BMW 800cc range have in common? Really economical engines with insanely stupid teeny weeny tanks that keep the range down rather than add a few kg to the wet weight. This is a break from the herd and in fact is what they should have done with the 800GT (BMW have always been design stuffed by their tank under the seat, finally they gave in). This is a bike you could go distance on, well at least on road and trails. For that tank range alone beemer should be applauded.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

How much

of a premium will it cost to get the BMW specced the same as the standard Triumph?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices