Skip to content

Discuss This Honda CB500X First Ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda CB500X First Ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Honda CB500X First Ride

Phil West,  Executive Editor, is currently testing Honda’s new CB500X, the adventure styled version of it’s new 500 twin A2 licence friendly three bike range, near Barcelona in Spain. These are his first impressions. ‘Honda expect the new X version of its CB series to be the most popular of the three and on this first experience I have got every...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 May 2013 14:35)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Is Phil West very big or is this bike very small? Coz he looks like a giant next to it!

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

i like

the new 500 range , i fancy one of them as my next bike

Reply to this Topic
fevs

Jul 11

fevs says:

This will make

a great bike for learners/DAS/instructors and commuters but how does it not offer better mpg than the NC700?

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Suprisingly good.

I can't be doing with the mutton dressed as lamb "CBR" 500 but I'm surprised by how much I like the CB500 naked and this one. With that said I can't see myself getting too excited or motivated to take any of them out for a blast at the weekend.

I think they'll all do well although for me these are nice second bikes for daily commuting or bimbling about on but as I can't currently afford a first bike the likelyhood of a second bike is quite unlikely!

Reply to this Topic
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

dinky looking

agrees with satnavsteve. either phils a giant or thats a disguised cbf 125. personally i thinks these bikes will sell ok but in my opinion, for the money, the kawasaki er6f and er6n are way ahead.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

On the fuel economy

Smaller engine = less torque than the NC700S.  Less torque but the same peak power = higher revs to achieve it.  Higher revs = more energy wasted in heat and noise = more energy needed = more fuel.

I've got much the same economy from a 125, a 250, a 305 and a 500 when ridden at the same speed.  That means ragging the nuts off of the 125 versus barely cracking the throttle on the 500.  Yes, you need more energy to accelerate a heavier bike, push it through the air and roll the tyres on the road, but fuel economy is as much down to how you ride as what you ride.  I've seen credible claims of 80mpg+ from old carbed 500 twins when ridden for pathologial economy.

So the NC700S claims better mpg than the CB500, but take them out on the same ride and I'd expect you won't see more than a thimble of difference at the end of the day.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

SatNavSteve

I sat on all 3 at the Scottish Bike Show a few weeks ago (shit show, Honda had the only decent stand) and although I thought I'd like the X best as it would be a bit taller than the others, it was the worst for me.  It looks good but is physically too small for many grown guys who look uncomfortably oversized on it.  Would make a perfect bike for the smaller guys or women.  The CBR was ok, but the surprise for me was the naked which not only looked good far better 'in the flesh', but was also the most comfortable for me at 6'3" and 15 stone.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Romford4!

Thanks for that coz my missus is looking at it as maybe her next bike, although if she can't reach the floor easily, it will be a non-starter. I've been on the Honda website but theres no info on accessories yet so I don't know if there will be a lower seat option. I'll have to wait and see, but the price is good!

Reply to this Topic
Tadashi

Oct 08

Tadashi says:

400X seat height

CB500X will be sold as 400X in Japan. They change the engine slightly but the rest should be the same. The seat height of 400X is 795mm as Japanese are shorter both in height and legs. It is up to the Honda UK if the lower seats are made available or not. Similarly NC700 integra has lower seats in Japan, but Honda UK does not import them.

It is in Japanese, but you can see a diagram here:

http://www.m-bike.sakura.ne.jp/?p=43906

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Went to our local Honda dealer today with the wife hoping to see one of these. They said they havn't got one, theres none in the country and it could be months before they have one! Disappointing to say the least. So we'll shop elsewhere. They said it could be August before they have one! Not waiting that long.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices