You are in... Forums > General > General > Replacement bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Replacement bike

Had a bit of a tumble on my lovely 2010 ER-6f the other weekend. Damaged my shoulder, but other than that I'm fine. The bike, however, looks to be a complete write-off (despite what seems like minor cosmetic damage, frame looks to be bent, which sucks).

Now this was my first big bike; got it in September last year so haven't been riding long. Just wondering if anyone's got any recommendations for a replacement??

As I'm young & haven't been riding long my insurance is still going to be stupidly high, but bearing that in mind & the fact most of my miles will be a daily 20 mile commute (total) with some weekend blats in between, what would you suggest and why?

Something around the 500-800cc mark, prefer faired and sports/tourer options but open to suggestions!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 May 2013 19:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

If you wanna smile on that 20 commute

and laugh your head off at weekends then, 690 Duke, Street Triple or maybe the new Z800.

Fairing? pah you're young :smile

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

zander

glad to hear you are ok .as for a new bike if you liked the ER then get another , but check your insurance aint gonna go up due to crash . you really need to get round the dealers and sit on a load of bikes to see what 'fits' not that i'm bias or owt but a cbr600 is a good bike:lol:

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Preunit

Has the right idea, fairing, why d'ya need that? Borrowed a 690 Duke for a day while my ER6n was being serviced. It's not quite as practical but it don't half put a smile on your face!

What's your budget? Are you looking new or pre-loved?

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

third party most likely to blame so costs will be recovered, thankfully, and my premium should stay roughly the same.

I'd prefer faired for the weather protection, but I guess it's not strictly necessary! I do like the look of the Z800 though... My local Triumph dealership has suggested the Tiger 800.

I've been eyeing up the Daytona 675 for the past few months but think I might leave that until I've got a few more years experience and a more resilient hoop!

Most likely pre-loved. Ideally don't want to spend much more than I get back from my old bike but figure an additional £1k might be required, so budget around £4-5k I guess.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Z800

Been meaning to give that a go, I'm getting my heated grips fixed at the weekend so might see if I can take one out myself.

If I had the budget I'd seriously consider the new BMW F800GT but maybe you can get hold of a Triumph Sprint 2nd hand for that sort of cash. Best get around as many dealers as you can and try out their inventory to see what suits you best. We've all got our own arseholes, I mean opinions after all!

:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

hmm

May have accidentally put down a deposit on a second hand 2012 ER-6f. 2,000 miles, registered last September, £4.5k. But it's just so pretty!

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Great choice

Great all-rounder. If you liked your last one the newer model is supposed to have much improved rear shock.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices