Skip to content

Ask an Expert 125 for 6'1 16+stone new rider Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > 125 for 6'1 16+stone new rider

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

blockman

May 13

blockman says:

125 for 6'1 16+stone new rider

Hello Guys!

I am thinking of ditching the car and getting on a bike, I am 28 years old, 6'1 and between 17 and 16 stone but trying to lose weight as we speak! 

I was hoping for some help on what would be a good bike for me? It will be used for commuting around Bristol, I am planning on doing the Direct Access asap, but if I find a 125 I like I might delay that and get some more experience, but my main worry is as I am pretty heavy that would make a 125 rather slow?

I was looking at a Sinnus Apache, but my housemate says all Chinese bikes are dog doo, would a CBF 125 be ok? Subject to me getting finance!

Thanks

Chris

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 May 2013 15:20)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

small bike

my advice is dont go for anything too expensive, because youc'll likely drop it a few times, whilst youre learning. ybr125 is a lovely little bike. i wqs riding mine to work every day for the last two weeks and was getting 220 miles on a tenner's fuel. 

you should be ok with weight i would have thought. itll effect acceleration but maybe not top speed i would have thought.

Reply to this Topic
blockman

May 13

blockman says:

small bikes ftw

Thanks for your help! I quite like the Ybr 125, and 220 on a tenner? That has won it for me! I will be doing my cbt in 3 weeks after I have done my blue lights course, I wish I looked into 125s sooner!

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

I can

endorse geoffart's recommendation

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

new bike

The Varadero 125 is physically big, so would fit you well....

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I'm short in the leg

and a couple of stone less than the OP, and anything less than the Varadero feels like a toy, so I'd say look for a tidy one

Reply to this Topic
Fubar123

May 13

Fubar123 says:

Which bike ?

Thanks for the replies , I'm in the same boat as Blockman.Very similar size and shape.
Another Chris

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

125 for a big bloke

Why wouldn`t you support a Bristol Importer ? Superbyke do the RMR 125 a Super Motard type . My Son bought one , used it to gain experience and then did Direct Access . When he sold it he had 12 people after it . Similar to the Sinnis Apache .

Perhaps your Mate had a bad experience , but take it from me , it was a decent machine and I`ve been riding since 1958 .

Reply to this Topic
wagend

Dec 12

wagend says:

Varadero is a full sized bike with a 125 engine but they're expensive.

The Yamaha YZF R-125 is also a full sized bike with a small engine and the bike I had (I'm same weight and 2 inches taller than you) and it fit me great, but again it's expensive. 

If purchase price is an issue, maybe look toward a crosser style bike.

As for the YBR / CBF -- I tried them both and hated them with a passion. Too cramped and soggy suspension with weight on. 

Reply to this Topic
cbtnewbie30

Jul 12

cbtnewbie30 says:

cbf

I'm 16 stone and have ride a cbf for 2 years, they are great bikes for getting around and very good on fuel.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices