Skip to content

General Who leaves petrol in their bike over winter? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Who leaves petrol in their bike over winter?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

Who leaves petrol in their bike over winter?

So who leaves petrol in their bike over winter and doesn't have a problem starting it in spring?

I know about a dozen guys who have no problem, including me, and don't actually know anyone who has had petrol "go off" despite all the crap people spout.

In fact I know at least a couple of mates who've left vehicles standing for a couple of years and started them with a new battery, no worries. I know 2-strokes can be a bit more fussy, and letting fuel in carbs evaporate isn't good but I'm talking modern 4 stroke injected engines.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 357 days ago (03 May 2013 16:15)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

tim

No problem here ...Sky's gsxr750 was left this winter for 6 month's ...we just charged up the battery and it fired up no problem first time.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Fuel

I put a fuel stabilizer in the tanks and run it through,also start the bikes up once a month to running temp.

I/you cannot risk getting them fine injectors or carb jets partly blocked because this will cause a weak mixture.

Also what about the water in the bottom of the tanks, more so using the cheapest unleaded fuel that contains up to 5% ethanol (this absorbs moisture).

My advice is use super unleaded with additives and not supermarket fuel.    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

not had a problem

Thing I always find is there is often a nice weekend even if damnable cold even in the middle of winter when you can get a few miles in.

Or spring comes early, ok this year is the exception so I keep the bike on road 12 months and dont do anything when I put it away other than good clean. Oh and plug in Optimate and whenever I need/want it there it is and it always starts

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

I

Always brim the tank over Winter....  But they do live in the house during the winter months, no problem starting..:smile

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I fill good quality fuel in the mv

And drain the Vfr, every week I start them up until the fans cut in 

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

fueling

top both  up with a gallon or several over winter as i run them both up every week if its severely cold..only once have i had fuel go off in the zed, wouldnt even fire on it, drained and fresh put it on, on the button every time...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

tim8061

no problem with fuel.....But Clutch Fluid and me ....ain't talkin....innit....:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

yeah

i had a prob last year with dodgy fuel , but it must of been cheap shit . stunk of turps ?, drain ,refill fuel flush and all was well:smile

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Never had any probs with fuel..

Just park um up, plug in Optimate and roll on salt free roads!.. :sunglasses:

Would strongly advise against starting them up every now n then tho, no matter how 'hot' you get them. If you can't take it out for at least 10 miles or so then the resultant moisture build up in the engine/oil/exhaust will do now't but harm!
Don't do it! :shock:

* cue abuse from those who 'know' better *

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

oy stealth

i dint av a prob it sat thair all winter n started on the biutton?????????????????????????????????????

nee bother ?:blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle