Skip to content

General Who leaves petrol in their bike over winter? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Who leaves petrol in their bike over winter?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

Who leaves petrol in their bike over winter?

So who leaves petrol in their bike over winter and doesn't have a problem starting it in spring?

I know about a dozen guys who have no problem, including me, and don't actually know anyone who has had petrol "go off" despite all the crap people spout.

In fact I know at least a couple of mates who've left vehicles standing for a couple of years and started them with a new battery, no worries. I know 2-strokes can be a bit more fussy, and letting fuel in carbs evaporate isn't good but I'm talking modern 4 stroke injected engines.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 May 2013 16:15)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Winter storage

My bikes are insured year-round but used a lot less in winter so I do stick some fuel additive in the tank when they are filled up less often.  Never had any problems.   

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Never a problem......

Just fill the tank up when it gets low and keep riding it!

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

I'm with Stealth

don't start the engine unless you intend to ride the bike.

Unless you get everything up to temperature, including the gearbox, you run the risk of the acids that form from combustion products/air/oil, not fully burning off. They loiter in the engine, gearbox and exhaust and can cause all sorts of problems down the line.

That's why car exhausts rot so quickly when they are only used for short journeys.

As for leaving petrol in the tank over winter, I left my Blade from October to March with a full tank in a damp-ish garage and had no problems.

Either completely empty it or have it harry toppers.

Reply to this Topic
sprag

Aug 02

sprag says:

I've owned lots of bikes since 1965

and often left them standing over winter and I can honestly say I've never had a problem starting any of them come spring time. My latest bike is a case in point. It's a 07 Bonneville [carb model] and it got left in my garage from early November last till just a few weeks ago and it started on the button almost immediately.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I find

leaving them without petrol means I can't go anywhere. Brum brum.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices