You are in... Forums > General > General > Shrader valve

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

drsqueelgood

Apr 05

drsqueelgood says:

Shrader valve

Went out early yesterday for a nice little run out and this happened. Had to nurse the bike home and push it some. ZX6r with a flat front tyre. Not good fun!!! :wacko: Apologies for poor photo quality. 

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. image  
  2. image  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 May 2013 14:14)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Valve.

My R1 did this too but luckily I noticed it when pumping the tyres up before leaving home. I thought it was due to the relatively heavy aftermarket, anodised valve caps which the previous owner had fitted. Have you got similar valve caps?

Reply to this Topic
drsqueelgood

Apr 05

drsqueelgood says:

James

I do have a heavy cap fitted. It's one of those pressure indicator caps to warn you if the pressure drops too low. Sounds a bit of a coincidence don't it.? :wacko:

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

Cetrifugal force

Doubt metal/heavy caps are the problem - those 90 degree extensions weigh a lot more and would exert a much bigger bending force. Faulty manufacture or install is more probable. Funnily enough I had a new front on a week ago, and today I had it go down to 12psi due to a leaky valve. Never had that happen in 30yrs+ - the amazing thing was the handling felt fine and I only found out on the post-ride clean and check.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tim,

The difference with the 90 degree valves is that they sit close to the rim and and are more substantial low down. (See pic link)  I do think centrifugal force can cause damage when you've got a non-standard cap on top of the usual 2cm length of rubber. You're right about faulty installation though. A bit of both, perhaps.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

do you...

use an heavy chain through your wheel when securing it? You may have inadvertently caught it with the chain. I can thoroughly recommend these when you have tyres fitted. metal flush to rim,very light and should only need replacing every fourth tyre change. They should be around 5 quid apiece.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
drsqueelgood

Apr 05

drsqueelgood says:

Oldish

I lke the look of those:smile. I do lock it up with a chain in the garage but through the back wheel to my other bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices