Skip to content

Ask an Expert Rear wheel slide? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Rear wheel slide?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Kev1949

Jun 09

Kev1949 says:

Rear wheel slide?

I have a Kawasaki ER5, 07, with 5250 miles on the clock. For some months I have been experiencing rear wheel slide. Like when having to pull up sharply, the rear wheel sometimes fishtails, and yesterday, on a dry road, when going round a roundabout, felt a slight slide to the left. Seems to me that the rear wheel is not gripping the road surface? But more noticeable on right hand turns than left? With only 5250 miles, still plenty of tread. Anyone have any ideas on this?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 May 2013 00:05)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

rear slide

What's the shape of the tyre? If you run your hand over it has it squared off/does it feel 'round'? 

Pressure still okay?

Think those are the two main things I'd check, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will have a better idea :P

Reply to this Topic
Kev1949

Jun 09

Kev1949 says:

Tyre pressure and depth

On checking the handbook, confusing tyre pressures :unsure:? Got " 95.5~181 kg ( 215~400lb ) load" in one box, and in another box next to it "280 kPa ( 2.80 kg/cm, 41psi )". Don't know what these figures mean, other than 41psi. So as was 31psi, put more air in to bring it up to 41psi. Also, on checking the tread, got 4mm depth on the outside of the tyre, and 3mm in the centre. Probably need a new tyre soon? Anyway, have to see if the extra 10psi has made a difference? 

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

I ran my Battlax 021s at 36/42 front/rear. The owner handbook only really holds true for the OEM tyres, and even then it's perhaps to be taken with a pinch of salt; check your tyre manufacturer's website/Google for the specific tyre + bike model recommendations on pressures, but 10psi could definitely make a difference!

Bike tyres are normally 'safe' down to around 1mm tread so no need to replace yet unless there's something off with them (or you have money to spare).

good luck!

Reply to this Topic
Kev1949

Jun 09

Kev1949 says:

Ride today

Thanks for that. Today not so windy in Essex like the gale force winds yesterday, so will take it for a spin. Post how it went later.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices