Skip to content

Ask an Expert Best Pillion Bike Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Best Pillion Bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kierran87

Sep 12

kierran87 says:

Best Pillion Bike

Hi,

I will soon be upgrading from my 125 to my 1st big bike. As i will be riding with my wife daily, i am unsure of the best bike for pillion comfort. I do not like or cannot afford the big BMW's and Tourer bikes, and me and my wife are both 6ft+, so i need to keep this in mind. Main 2 bikes I've been looking at so far are the Honda CB500 & Bandit 600.

Any other recommendations?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 May 2013 09:48)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Budget

bearing in mind insurance will be a fair bite?

V-Strom 650?

Reply to this Topic
kierran87

Sep 12

kierran87 says:

Good shout, looks like a big back seat and room for luggage etc..

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Kieran

If the V-Strom you're looking at has a rack/top box fitted make sure there's plenty room when two up.

My Strom has OEM Suzi rack/box (2009) and with my better half on board I'm leaning forward to avoid being nutted. She loves it, tho.  Says its really comfortable and feels very secure wedged between me and the box, likes it better than the Blackbird. 

Also can't get seat off without removing box, which is a bit of a pain. It'll be for sale very shortly, so keep an eye out!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Might be worth looking at a

Honda XL700V-Transalp, but the best bit of advice I can give is to hit the dealers with a short list of bikes, go with the Mrs and demo them, tis the only way to go tbh.:smile

Reply to this Topic
nickchops

Apr 13

nickchops says:

vstrom...

I've ridden pillion on a V-Strom 1000 over a 100 mile trip and have to say that I would not voluntarily do that again! Amazing trip but the position was not at all comfortable for medium-long distance (for a 5'7'' average weight bloke). Not sure if the 650 is a lot different, but I'd get a six foot person to try it out first!

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

hmm awkward...

It would appear you are short of money (Guess no more than about £2000) and needing something with grunt and suspension for a pillion but don't want a Tourer (otherwise a Deauville might have been just in your budget...).

I wouldn't recomend the CB500 or Bandit. Both are nice enough but they are not particularly big physically (ditto ER6, FZ6 etc)
On a very similar vein to a V Strom have you thought of a Yamaha TDM900 or TDM850? Are usually available fairly cheap since they have been available for quite a while and they are nicely built for the money (aluminium frame).... 
Alternatively have you seen a Suzuki GSX750F (up to 2003)? They are physically bigger than the GSX600F (which is bandit sized) and will cost more to insure than many of the other options (and will probably need its suspension rebuilding) but they are very cheap for the money and with the 750 engine might have enough grunt to be fun two up...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices