Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Have the prison sentences handed out for speeding slowed you down? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Have the prison sentences handed out for speeding slowed you down?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Have the prison sentences handed out for speeding slowed you down?

"This is not a question about whether the punishment fits the crime, my personal view is 'no way', it’s what the thought of jail has done to my behaviour. "I’ve enjoyed powerful bikes for a good many years now and over that time I, like many riders, have had points for speeding. "I’ve deserved those points and will hold my hands up...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 351 days ago (09 May 2013 10:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Speed

I have a sign on the back of my bike which reads,

" THIS VEHICLE IS LIMITED TO 176 MPH "

It seems to work for transit vans doing 90 mph, with a similar sign reading 100 kph.

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

I have in the past had many sports bikes and it would concern me,so I bought a HARLEY end of problem just enjoy riding

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

I don't see the problem in speeding, we should have a common sense law. If there are no cars about then go as fast as you like, on a motorway that is. If you're going past a school then obviously you don't speed... I've had police tell me off for filtering before :\ Like filtering on a busy street with peds and tall vans blocking your view, I understand but not on a big wide road with traffic.

Reply to this Topic
comfysofa

Apr 13

comfysofa says:

Holding very tightly on to my large wooden desk ive got a clean licence (at the moment). I agree, common sense prevails for me - if im going to push it then ill check quite a few things first, surroundings, amount of traffic, weather, the area im in etc etc.

Not as white as a preachers sheets myself but i do spend alot less time on bikes than i used to - (probably why i have a clean licence at the moment)

Having said that i picked up a 200 quid fine at the TT last year and dreaded the verbal abuse more from the wife than ending up in court the next day....

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Speeding/Prison

No not really had an effect since i don't speed anyway!!!

When the need for a hury up is required i merely check my whereabouts, time, traffic, Known areas, and away i go.

The problem will always be that the nimrods, caught going at it like no tomorrow, are doing it in areas which are known to draw attention and some even like to give the odd salute (the one finger kind) well i am not surprised they get sent down. Don't abuse the system openly and then complain about it.

As for this numbskull, the latest one to be caught by his own bragging........what a fucking whalley!

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

(I’ve never exceeded the speed limit on my motorcycle)¬

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

Nope ...

Speed only accounts for 20 % of incidents, so despite the huge focus the authorities place on it 80% of the causes of incidents are seemingly ignored!!!

Speed isn't a problem, and every bobbie worth his salt knows that. It's inappropriate speed that's a problem. For instance 100 mph down an empty motorway, is 30 mph over the legal limit but is acceptably safe, whereas the legal limit of 30 mph in a busy town centre etc may well be lunacy depending on conditions.

It's all about observation and assessment of what is safe depending on all conditions within the level of experience of the rider.

If you recall there was a bobby done, around Telford, I think for doing 140 and 90 mph in the car, I seem to recall the 90 was in a 30 limit at night without blues and twos, now in that instance I don't think anyone could ever justify 90mph as safe in a 30 irrespective of experience as there's no way he could see well enough to know if someone or something were to step into his path, and if I recall it was appealed and he got off with it as he was "testing" his police car. Totally totally wrong in my opinion!

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

getting older has slowed me down.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

You only get done if caught

Generally I don't speed as much as I used to do (not that I've ever exceeded the speed limit on public roads) but if I was likely to do speeds that have led others to prison sentences then I would do it on a very quick bike. If I was caught at speeds that could be a prison sentence then there's nothing to loose from doing a runner (obviously I wouldn't put anybodies life in danger except my own in such a hypothetical situation).

Many have got themselves caught by posting their shenanigans on social media sites so I'd deffo keep schtump in such a situation (not that it would ever happen :-P

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Fcuk

there's a speed limit shocker.gif

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale