Skip to content

Discuss This BT Sport announces five-year UK TV deal for MotoGP MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > BT Sport announces five-year UK TV deal for MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

BT Sport announces five-year UK TV deal for MotoGP

BT has signed a five-year deal to show MotoGP exclusively live in the UK from the 2014 world championship campaign onwards. The deal, which MCN revealed would be confirmed today from last weekend’s Spanish MotoGP race in Jerez, was announced during a high-profile launch for the new digital sports channel in London. The deal means free-to-air coverage of MotoGP on the BBC...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 May 2013 12:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BarkerBill

Feb 12

BarkerBill says:

A rumour?

A chap down the pub mentioned he'd heard tale of there being full Moto GP coverage available free on Radio 2. Might be just a rumour though?

Reply to this Topic
JP4Hire

Aug 03

JP4Hire says:

End of the road.....

Sorry Dorna, but you have really shot yourself in the foot this time. It bad enough selling to the BBC - I for one, wouldnt watch MotoGP live from the BBC thanks to the limited coverage, and appalling commentary. I, like many true fans would watch the full lot on Eurosport. I swapped my broadband from BT to Sky, cheaper and unlimited. Unlike BT where I would get a letter every other month saying that I'm close to, or exceeded my limit. MotoGP is unfortunately getting like F1. Too many electronics. There is no way Marquez could get on a NSR500 and get on the podium in his first race. Lets have a controlled ECU, lets see smoking tyres and the odd highside. Now its going to BT, its finished!

Reply to this Topic
Feckit

Jan 13

Feckit says:

FFS

There goes something else the purists in us all enjoy. Taken away and given to a company with little or no viewing figures, no record or prowess or any demonstration or history of providing any fully satisfactory service, least of all to us bike mad eejits. BT has no history of bike watchers, and has not even once demonstrated that they can reach out to us all and gain any clientele who are willing to pay. Just a bunch of money to buy a contract. Boycott the BT Sport service and BT completely and when the "FIVE FECKIN YEARS" are up they'll be glad to be rid of it to any bidder. In the meantime we are a resourceful lot us, so no doubt there are and will be ways to watch it free of charge. Feckin feckwits for feck sake!!! Rant over. MotoGP in UK -- RIP. Oh Yeah, Dorna, Stop f...ing everything up!

Reply to this Topic
Feckit

Jan 13

Feckit says:

Pacman1967 Motors TV

Pacman1967, Motors TV has been moved to channel 447 on sky. It's now called Motors TV uk. Why they've done that I have no idea. More crud to deal with!

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

I'm with u kev..Got bt broadband so happy days... As for bandwidth bt offer an unlimited package...It really should't be rocket science in this day and age.... ps BT will use motogp footage for the majority of it so quality won't change, may even get Barnacle and Whitham.....

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Don't pay it!!! Don't pay it!!!

MotoGP has always been pushed to the periphery when it comes to sport. Now that it has been snatched from the so called 'free to view channels', we should expect even less exposure! So pissed off, it isn't even funny! Not going to subscribe to the greedy media barons, will follow BSB, WSB, TT, Local Club... Only good thing to come out of it? Don't have to listen to Steve Parish!

Reply to this Topic
willc955

Jun 12

willc955 says:

NUKE DORNA

There appears to be a global conspiracy to eliminate motorcycle roadracing from the public view.  Just be glad you don't live in the states or you would be vomiting NASCAR every sunday.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

hugelean & Kev

Spot on, we've no problem with BT either, been with them for years, landline & broadband unlimited, you can use the net, Lovefilm/Netflix all day & night if you want to, and have good backup if you need it, better than Sky horror stories imo.

Reply to this Topic
OwainGlyndwr

May 13

OwainGlyndwr says:

There are 6.3 million BT broadband customers. They can't all be wrong.

Reply to this Topic
deebee4

May 13

deebee4 says:

email sent to Dorna

I just sent this email to Dorna on : Subject: Your decision to have the amount of viewers limited in Western Europe (including UK) Dear mr. Ezpeleta (should you ever read this message, which I doubt), Obviously Dorna doesn’t want the MotoGP races (including Moto3 and Moto2 classes) to be watched by a broad audience. Your deal to give away the exclusive rights for airing the races to BT will have this effect. Since I think you have a vision of what the consequences will be regarding the viewing figures (the number of actual people actually watching the races on TV), this seems to be your objective. Consequences will be that it will be even harder to find sponsors that want to help funding the teams. Every sponsor wants to have his name shown to as much people as possible. Now that the races will be watched by (even) lesser people sponsors will abandon the Moto GP scene to spend their money elsewhere. Eventually this will make the Moto GP obsolete and uninteresting, despite the performances of teams and riders. Especially in a time, where financial crisis makes people more critical on where they spend their money on, a majority of people will choose NOT to pay for watching the races, and diverting their interests to something else. So assuming you all have this figured out in advance I can only conclude that your intention is not to keep a motor sport scene alive but to make short term profit, regardless the long term consequences. I will expect to see the same happen with the WSBK competition in a few years, since you own the rights for that too. Teams will be diminished, the best riders of the world riders will get paid a lot less and will direct their attention elsewhere. Just like the viewers...... I’m a big motorsports fan for more than 40 years, and followed the competition during the years. But I will not pay for watching a fantastic sport that is indented to be seen by a broad audience. Wasn’t your deal with the BBC 5 years ago not motivated by your own statement that the races should be watched by as many as possible people, just to make the sport more popular? Obviously your vision has changed..... As addition I dare to claim that, because of the lesser viewers, there will be lesser people attending at the live races. People want to see their hero’s in real live, but when their hero’s are no longer shown on TV (or only at a cost for the fan....), there’s less urge to see them in real live. So the amount of spectators at the tracks outside of Spain will decrease. Again, I have my doubts about your intentions, since you would’va anticipated that too. “Thank you” for sacrificing this fantastic sport to short term profit.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices