Skip to content

Discuss This Calls for tougher enforcement as minister warns of £90 fine for driving on the phone General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Calls for tougher enforcement as minister warns of £90 fine for driving on the phone

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Calls for tougher enforcement as minister warns of £90 fine for driving on the phone

Plans to increase fines for using a phone while driving need to be backed up by tougher enforcement, according to the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Fixed penalty fines for a variety of motoring offences will rise from £60 to £90, Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin has indicated. The new fine will apply to using a phone while driving, whether to make...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 May 2013 10:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
trackdayfreak

Oct 11

You can usually spot the mobile phone user a mile off meandering from lane to lane and sudden stopping for no apparent reason,etc,I have seen people texting whilst driving this is total madness as each time you text you have to look down to write the next word you can spot them in slow moving traffic in the morning on the way to work.

People are just not getting the message,oh and bye the way car drivers when you pull up at the side of the road to use your mobile it is only legal if you first turn off your engine!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
dartmaster85

Jun 09

dartmaster85 says:

guys,dont cry here,in the Netherlands it will cost you a nice 220 euros (186 pounds) !

Reply to this Topic
4418geoffg

Aug 07

4418geoffg says:

Yes,£1000 fine and six points would do the trick.

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

You can propose

As big a fine as you like, but without enforcement and due process the amount of the fine ain't worth a light!

Reply to this Topic
4444jp

Jul 04

4444jp says:

Driving experience

I think all road users should pass their test on two wheels before going onto four wheels,it would make them all better road users.

Reply to this Topic
arbg92

Oct 05

arbg92 says:

..Whats the point..!

Is there really any point in this.? Another minister saying empty words. There are too few police out there to enforce this.Everyday I must see at least a dozen people jumping lights, on phones and generally driving like they own the road. Another empty idea from a "clueless" minister...! Oh I forgot..Isn't this the minister who is looking to put the Bike test back on the road and out of a safe Mod 1 site....! As I said..! "Clueless...!"

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Empower the people

We, the people, see people on phones whilst driving, chucking litter thoughtlessly, letting their dogs shit where we walk and leaving it there, behaving anti socially in countless ways... If we were empowered to do something about it some of us would, then more of us would, then most of us would. Then eventually there would be fewer fuckwits doing stuff that caused annoyance because they'd be caught, by us. The law doesn't help us help ourselves. The Big Society needs sense and reason to prevail but due process prevents it. 

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

This is destroying peoples lives!

First offence: 1 week ban & £500 fine. Second offence: Three month ban & £1000 fine. Third offence: Three months on work farm and re-test!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Let's face it, most of the cretins who use a mobile while driving don't give a shit about anyone else. They are selfish, locked in their own little world and unlikely to suffer as much injury as bikers / pedestrians etc. if they do have a shunt while on it.

Fines aren't the answer. A ban from driving and a banning order from owning a mobile phone for a year would be more effective perhaps? Paedos get banned from having computers, so why not? It's a crime, so make the penalty more harsh. Or, make these arseholes actually meet the relatives of someone who has been killed or seriously injured by a phone user and see how long the bravado holds up. I hate the poxy things, I really do and the morons who spend their sad, empty little lives on them to satisfy their need to feel important.

Have a good week all, sorry to go on. 

Reply to this Topic
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

I was riding to work a week or so ago & sat at the lights behind an unmarked car, just as the lights changed to green the drivers hand caught my eye, he was holding a mobile to his ear, 100 yards further along the road he turned off & into the Police Headquarters, i made a mental note of his number & was going to phone up to complain but thought it would be a total waste of time as nothing would be done!

If the Police don't even abide by the law why do they think anyone else will, a £90 fine will not deter the majority of people, maybe a phone seizure & crushing law would make them think a bit harder.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices