Skip to content

Ask an Expert experience Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > experience

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply



May 10

Posts: 127

soapes says:



Can anyone recommend an insurance company that'll take 20+ years of riding into consideration for a car quote?

Had full bike licence for over 20 yrs, this included cat B1 (trikes, small cars etc) passed my driving test just over a year ago, (I didn't have to do theory as I was "upgrading within categories"). So potentially I've been driving small cars (upto 550kg) for 20+ years, as well as riding bikes for over 20 years. Do any car insurance companies take this into consideration? As at present I'm been classed as a new driver and am expected to pay 17 year old rates at the age of 38!

 To make matters worse I actually need a car as I live in rural Wales and my wife and I are expecting the pitter patter of tiny feet soon!

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 May 2013 17:58)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Dec 10

Posts: 11938

preunit says:

I tried

and failed :upset: 

Good luck though, if you do find a broker that does, please post it up :smile

Reply to this Topic


Apr 07

Posts: 1554

shuggie1 says:

Don't think it's possible

What car weighs less than 550kg anyhow?

They normally don't care about you having bike experience, or other way round, if you have a car and buy a bike you're classed as a new rider.

But, if you have a dink in your car they screw your bike history, and other way round.


Reply to this Topic


May 10

Posts: 127

soapes says:

No luck!!

Well it seems no insurer will take 20 years of a full category B1 into account!

Apparently the licence held should be for the car I'm getting the quote for, makes sense I suppose. Would have been nice if they did take some of my 20+ years experience into account though.

Also I don't think I'll complain to much about the cost of bike insurance, car insurance (even if I do claim 20 years driving) is still 3 times more than for my 955 triumph!?

Reply to this Topic


Mar 10

Posts: 1032

bmwgs says:


as cat b1 is for small 4 wheelers like quad bikes  i only got when i passed my car test.  so what test did you do to get the b1?  some do a 6wheeler one if you use both car and bike.

Reply to this Topic


May 10

Posts: 127

soapes says:

test for b1

Did my bike test 20+years ago, used to get cat B1 as part of the full bike licence.

One of my friends drives an Aixam car on his B1, had a friend a few years ago had an old Fiat 126 (?) could be driven on a bike licence (olde one with B1) and old 2cv, all under 550kg.

Seems even though these are cars insurance companies don't take the driving experience into account!?

Reply to this Topic


Apr 08

Posts: 3042

AdieR says:

It's insurance

after all - thus they'll have it their way:

Umpteen years experience in one category, counts for FA in another.

Have a bump / claim (however minor), and premiums for both will jump up...

Have a non-fault accident (where a 3rd party's insurer pays out), and it still jumps up (apparently, if you have a non-fault claim, you're {3x?} more likely to have a claim on your insurance in the next 3 years).

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices