Skip to content

Ask an Expert GSF 650 bearing problem? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > GSF 650 bearing problem?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Goulders

Dec 12

Goulders says:

GSF 650 bearing problem?

I've got a 2008 bandit and for the last few hundred miles I seem to have hit a strange noise coming from the chain area. The chain is oiled up and in good condition. I initially thought it was the chain catching the plastic guide but it is tensioned correct.  

The noise sounds like a bearing failure. When I took the cover of the front sprocket I can see all teeth are present, but when I turn the rear wheel, I can feel a notchyness in the chain as it goes round the front sprocket.  Should it be smooth as I turn it?    Is there a bearing that is prone to failure behind the front sprocket?  If so, is it an easy job to change?:shock::shock:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 May 2013 15:13)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Goulders

Check chain for any tight links first, may pay you to loosen chain tension to do this.

If not it is possibly the output shaft bearing.

Might even be a rear wheel bearing, noise being transmitted through chain to front sprocket.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit 2008

Hi Goulders

I think the way you are describing this notchyness,it sounds more like it is a seized link in the chain,you are right there is a large bearing behind the drive sprocket inside the gearbox crankcase.To replace this is quite a major job,drive sprocket removed,engine out,crankcase split,gearbox drive shaft removed,bearing removed and then replaced with new one,then reverse the procedure.But thoroughly check the chain first before taking any drastic action remove and replace the chain and sprocket first unless there is definite up and down side to side movement (not very slight in and out movement end float)If unsure take the bike to a motorcycle only work shop for a proper diagnosis Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Ah just seen Smiget has posted while i was writing this, also good info and advise:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Goulders

Dec 12

Goulders says:

GSF650

Cheers fellas.  The chain does bounce around quite a lot so I suspect (hope) it's  just the chain. Might take it in tomorrow to double check as im going touring to Spain in 3 weeks!!  

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Let us

know what you find as it is always nice to get some feedback.

Good luck.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices