You are in... Forums > General > General > yamaha r6 5eb

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

matsui

Nov 11

matsui says:

yamaha r6 5eb

Could anyone tell me turning the pilot screw out does it make it richer or leaner.The bikes not ran for 7 seven years so had the carbs cleaned and i think i turned the pilot 1 and half turns out but since have found the manual states 2 out.The bike runs fine to about 4000 revs then coughs and farts and clears about 8000 revs.The bike has a race can,could this be the fault or any other ideas cheers Carl..

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 May 2013 18:01)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carbs

Assuming the 4 compressions are similar and the valve clearances  are within spec the starting point is 2 turns out for the pilot jets,(pilot jets screw out for richer and pilot air jets screw out for leaner).Pilot jets work mostly up to 3,000rpm so your problem is a weak mixture above this for your can.I hope you have an air filter and no unwanted air going in inbetween the carbs and engine.

Reply to this Topic
matsui

Nov 11

matsui says:

yamaha r6

Thanks for reply jaffa no idea about compression or valve clearances but will def turn the screw out further.Think i'll need a right angle screw driver well tight space.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carbs

You have misunderstood my reply,you say it runs ok up to 4,000rpm,this rules out the pilot jet/mixtures.You need a richer mixture by raising the needles or bigger main jets.

Or go back to the orignal can/air filter and reset the pilot mixtures by ear or gas analyser.  

Reply to this Topic
matsui

Nov 11

matsui says:

carbs

Hi jaffa i thought main jets control 1/4 throttle to fully throttle but you seem to know your onions.I remember seeing needles on some of my old bikes where you raise or lower the needle,but i'm sure the yam had no adjustment but will check.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

matsui....

after 7 years, you're lucky it runs at all.....take it steady.:smile

Reply to this Topic
matsui

Nov 11

matsui says:

carbs

Bike cost £500 spent £1100 doing her up gave me something do over winter should make £100 profit wow was it worth it.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carbs

Your problem is between 4,000rpm to 8,000rpm.This mixture is controlled by the needle position (fuel flow) and the angle of the carb slides (air flow).

Also does your bike/carb have a throttle position sensor T.P.S,?

Also again does your bike have an ex-up valve in the down pipes just before the can?  

Reply to this Topic
matsui

Nov 11

matsui says:

carbs

Hi jaffa yes it's got a TPS but wasn't disturbed no exup valve.Had look in the Haynes manual the needle as no adjustment.Do you think it's worth changing the spark plugs i scrimped and didn't replace them.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

matsui....

did you balance the carbs?

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Hmm

pilot screws turned in to richen the mixture  ...eg fully in the richest .......out to lean it off

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices