Skip to content

General 100 mile a day commuter bike recommendations? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > 100 mile a day commuter bike recommendations?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

GargleBlaster

Jan 10

100 mile a day commuter bike recommendations?

Hi all and thanks for reading.

After a few years of pottering around London very happily on my now deceased CB500 it's time for me to move out to the country.
This means I will now need a bike that can handle a daily 100 mile commute on primarily motorway and A roads in all conditions
My priorities are 1) Must be fuel efficient with a decent tank size. 2) Comfortable - I'm not going to be 'racing' into work. 3) Capable of carrying a little luggage (change of clothes, wet clothing etc).
I'll be buying second hand initially to get the hang of the increased mileage with the view of upgrading in a few years time and have a decent budget to cover most options.
I've seen a few posts on a similar subject, but nothing too recent, so any suggestions welcome.
Jason

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 May 2013 23:19)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

just to be sure.....

put a few stickers on it.pride......... and joy

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

NT700V

Probably perfect for your needs, good MPG, storage under tank, they do an automatic version,

However,
May i not get banished to the Siberian salt mines and just to move off center a bit how about a Suzuki Burgman 650:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:or, are they not classed as bikes???? I'll get me coat.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

+1 on Dullsville

May not be sexy, but great fuel economy, luggage as standard, shaft drive, and it's a Honda

Had one when mine was in for service and was surprised. Okay not a knee down racer, but a great commuter, which you said you wanted.

Not sure on your budget but brand new ones, with 2 year warranty available for around £7.5k

Job done!

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Look at the older

shape Suzuki V-Strom 650.  Comfortable, economical some weather protection, some luggage capacity and capable of going all day should you want.  Mine will be for sale shortly 09 for around 3K with 26K miles on.  Not because its mine, they are an excellent machine,capable of almost anything.  I've done a track day, toured and been on group rides as well as my own general riding.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Difficult question.................

This is always a difficult question to answer, because we all want different things out of a bike.

I currently do a similar commute (about 140 miles round trip per day, plus any milage I do during the day between sites).  For me, a big BMW Adventure bike (R1100GS, R1200GS?) is ideal.  The fuel economy is far from what you are looking for, but having tried smaller bikes (F650CS, Funduro etc. over the years I find the added comfort and the fun factor of the bigger bike is worth the extra running costs (and when we have big winds, the extra weight is worth having).

Try a few bikes out and find what fits you best, comfort is important, otherwise you'll just find reasons not to ride it.

Ride safe,

Shad. 

Reply to this Topic
Mulski

Nov 12

Mulski says:

NT700V

Honda Deauville 700V definitely worth considering.

I bought mine specifically for commuting 150 miles a day all year round covering M/way A and B roads. 

Avg 62mpg over 20k covered in one year, shaft drive, great weather protection. Frequently filter even with wide pannier lids - if the mirrors go through, so does the rest. Cheap to insure and maintain.
Laptop fits in side pannier, work jacket and shoes in the other.

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Deauville

Or a well-ridden Pan Euro or Triumph Trophy should give you decent mpg (if you're not redlining them everywhere) on motorways, etc; and better weather protection.

You could also try ZRX1100S or last geenration CB750s (or ZR-7s) and get screens, panniers, etc.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

My ER6n

Does just that, 100 mile commute, cuts through traffic and blasts up the motorway no problem. Screen, heated grips and handguards help weather protection.

The Honda NC700X looks like a winner, though not as fun when you get the chance to have some. The BMW F800GT would be the one to go for if you have the budget. Beltdrive and touring ability built in, perfect for a 100 mile commute.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Long distance commuter

The Deauville, as others have suggested, would be a great choice.  Not least of all because it has shaft drive.  It is a far better bike than it's reputation or the comments made about it would suggest.  The NC700 would be better on fuel than the Deauville but does not have the advantage of shaft drive.

One left field thought - have you considered a 'Super Scooter' ?

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

marcus

I have a T-Max 530,  before that a Bergman 400 so can speak from ownership. Most underrated IMO.

For a commute they are Ok, have a proppa bike for fun.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices