Skip to content

General 100 mile a day commuter bike recommendations? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > 100 mile a day commuter bike recommendations?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

GargleBlaster

Jan 10

100 mile a day commuter bike recommendations?

Hi all and thanks for reading.

After a few years of pottering around London very happily on my now deceased CB500 it's time for me to move out to the country.
This means I will now need a bike that can handle a daily 100 mile commute on primarily motorway and A roads in all conditions
My priorities are 1) Must be fuel efficient with a decent tank size. 2) Comfortable - I'm not going to be 'racing' into work. 3) Capable of carrying a little luggage (change of clothes, wet clothing etc).
I'll be buying second hand initially to get the hang of the increased mileage with the view of upgrading in a few years time and have a decent budget to cover most options.
I've seen a few posts on a similar subject, but nothing too recent, so any suggestions welcome.
Jason

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 May 2013 23:19)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

See...Maybe I'm different....but

100 miles a day of potential fun would be OH SO BORING...on anything less than a full on Hyperbike. You gotta be thinkin Busa, ZZR1400 and the like.

Ride em at sedate speeds and you'd be suprised at the economy.(:shock:). You only live once, why ponce about?

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Easy peezy

VFR800 does the journey nicely and provided you do not give it too much (>92mph) too often then it will return a resonable mpg.     

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

snev

piglet will have an answer for that :unsure:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
lenb

Jun 03

lenb says:

Commuter bike

As has been said Deauville, I had 2 650's great commuter even toured on it. Another to consider (incoming) BMW R850R with panniers and screen. Had two of these beauties as well, nippier than the Deauville and the engine is a dream. BM build quality on these were better than my current GS. Either will do you fine.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

well come on piglet....

I'm still waiting:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
GargleBlaster

Jan 10

Thanks snev, but....

....I still want to have a licence by the end of the first month doing this journey...!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices