General YZF R125 Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > YZF R125

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

triplehelix

May 13

triplehelix says:

YZF R125

Hello everyone. Anyone here own or know anyone who owns one of these bikes? (YZF R125).

Currently have one that's been going strong for 2 years and 16,000 miles. My issue is after 20k miles or so, the information on these bikes is pretty much non existent. All forums I have tried if anyone is over 20k, it has been sold and someone else has taken it on and not a forum goer.

However, of the research I have done, a lot of these bikes in the 15-20k regions have all had blown engine problems, top end and bottom end mixed, roughly 50/50. Now, everytime I contact these people they swear the held up services religiously. Most of the time I eventually get to the answer, which 99% of the time is "it ran out of oil"

Now, it's a 4 stroke, and shouldn't drink oil. I never have to top mine up. It holds 1.15litres and in the 1800 mile change intervals I top it up maybe 30ml (usually because I dip stick check EVERY journey, and after doing this hundreds of times, I have removed that 30ml lol).

It looks like my bike is going strong, but how long for? Either these guys had a leak and a gradual loss of oil occurred, requiring gasket work etc, or, the bike was literally drinking and burning the oil. I hope the former as a oil drinking engine is bye bye right?

Apologies for ranting, essentially just want to know if anyone out there knows of one of these bikes that has some competative mileage. I know sports bikes can get 50k plus if looked after, just wondering if a 125 can as well, a lot of people say they're small and don't last long.

Also, as a side question. This bike requires 9,000 out of the 10,000 revs to get to 70mph. Now, I don't have to do this often, but if I am near redline for a good 30-40 minutes sometimes on rideouts, is this going to hurt my engine? I use top spec oils (Castrol) fully synth and always change oils as per manual. The engine seems fine, but, am I significantly damaging my engine doing these rideouts every now and then?

MCN do long term / mileage reviews I thought, have they got one on this bike?

EDIT:Not sure why this is in pub talk? I started the new topic in General...Strange.

[This Topic has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 May 2013 14:59)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices