You are in... Forums > General > General > Z1000sx - first 150 miles

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Z1000sx - first 150 miles

Picked it up Saturday morning and headed out via Stourbridge, Bridgnorth, Craven Arms, Newtown, Crossgates and back via Leominster.

From getting out of Bridgnorth (what 20 - 25 miles on the clock) it rained, all the damn way to Lyonshall....bu&&er.

last 30 miles were ok though with dry roads.

Yesterday added another 40 odd miles but on dry roads and although still running in was soooo much better than Saturday.

I think I'll be doing a Kam for the next couple of weekends i.e. getting up early and out,

So far really enjoying it had some fun at reasonable pace (70 - 80) whereas the same fun on the ZZR was license losing, porridge tasting time.

The Akroprovic megaphone end cans are nice. Right blend of nice sound without being unduly loud, probably no louder than a stock Ducati/Harley.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 May 2013 15:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Obe

Congrats on the new bike ... looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

As for 'getting up early and riding' ..I can recommend it ..there is something extra nice about getting out on the bike whilst the rest of the traffic is still in bed and having the roads to yourself :winkie:

It's hard to drag yourself up early to go to work ...but it's amazing how much easier it is when it's to go out riding. :smile

The only other bike I saw out on The Stockiemuir on Sunday morning was a brand new anniversary edition gsxr1000 - obviously someone else getting those 'running in' miles out of the way.:winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
lenb

Jun 03

lenb says:

Z1000sx

Ooh nice bike Obewan, was thinking of that ot the Versys thou when I replace the GS. Did you get it from Cradley Kwak. Nice run on Saturday. Have you been over the Burway, stunning views.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Re Z1000SX

Kam, aye its also easier with the bright mornings. Both Saturday and Sunday started bright and sunny and turn sour by about 11:00. With the frau playing horsey stuff makes it easier to escape and still be back for the chores. This weekend need to Grazon the big field to get rid of nettles and docks. Then, mow a couple of the smaller paddocks. But fair trade off against the new bike.

Lenb, aye this and the ZZR came from Cradley. I find them a good bunch not in your face sales types. I dont know the Burway - where's that? I know a few of the "mountain" roads but not necessarily by name. Is it the one off the Crossgates road to Knighton?

Reply to this Topic
lenb

Jun 03

lenb says:

Burway

Obewan, unfortunately for Gareth and Chris I am a regular visitor to Cradley. Burway is over the Long Mynd. I go through Bridgenorth on th A458  left towards Craven Arms on B4368 right on unmarked road to Brockton, straight over crossroads (later on left turn) to a crossroads left on A 4371 to Church Stretton straight on to Burway nice incline narrow road and a bit of gravel. Right towards Ratlinghope T junction  left to Medicote keep on road to Bridges T juction left T junction right  A489 and I have a stop at Tuffins. Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

LenB

It does indeed sir.

Got roped into the 50mile tab over the Long mynd a few years ago. That's on foot not on the bike in 24 hours. You just know when the total distance is "only" 50 miles and they allow 24 hours its gonna be hilly.

I was discussing Harry Tuffins breakfasts with a neighbour this weekend. he is a heating engineer fits, repairs and services AGA, Rayburn and all those other cooker/central heating ranges.

If it isn't too out of the way apparently Brinsty (Bringsty) Cafe (anyway A44 between Worcester and Bromyard)  has changed hands once more and now once again welcomes motorcyclists.

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

obe

Considering the sx myself. Have you tried it two up yet? Are the pillion pegs lowish, seat comfortable. Might save save me a trip if if not suitable

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Mostly

Sorry no not yet.

Am back home on Friday will take a look see and get the frau to hop on the back and see how she finds it for room.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Another 300 Miles

Ok update for those interested in the Z...sx.

Put another 300 miles on it this weekend, and used a bit more of the rev range, also dry roads so perhaps a more realistic impression now.

There are two cons

1. The mirrors, very stable but all I can see is my bar ends, or my elbows. Find myself using them in bends as then I can see what is behind.

2. Vibrations at about 4k revs. Feel them in my feet and if gripping the tank my legs also. But NOT hands. Did three hours in the saddle and no vibration fingers at all. The vibes seem to disappear north of 5k revs.

The Pro's.

Thre hours in the saddle in one stint and yes bum was getting numb towards the end, but knees AOK.

Screen on lowest setting is fine for A roads at c80-85 mph, no neck ache, no wind noise.

Acceleration is great once over 5k revs (Not been above 7k yet and only then when carrying out a vrisk overtake).

Will bimble all day at low revs if that is what you want. (Again still running in so trying to avoid constant revs at the moment).

Fuel economy has picked up, getting about 10miles/ltr.

Riding position very neutral, felt really good after a longish stint. The upright position gives great road visibility - see over the hedges to determine where the road goes after the bend in front.

Stable over our crappy roads - couple of time hit bends with really bad road surface and it handled it ok, Once had to change line mid bend, a small worm hole to another galaxy had opened up in the middle of the road and even with my limited skills there were no dramas, just a push on the inside bar.

80mph feels fun again. I loved the ZZR but fun was north of 3 figures, on this it's all brought back to more license friendly speeds.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices