Skip to content

Ask an Expert New Chain/sprockets = better mpg? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > New Chain/sprockets = better mpg?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

benmc

Feb 09

benmc says:

New Chain/sprockets = better mpg?

Hey, 

I've just had the chain and sprockets replaced on the blade and seem to be getting more miles to a tank.

The way I see it, one of 2 things is happening: 

1. My reserve light is broken
2. Having new stuff on the bike means it's more efficient, which means I'm getting better mpg. 

Normally the reserve comes on around 120 miles, but I managed 135 ish before getting to a petrol station (still without the light coming on) - I haven't had a chance to ride round and round until the light either comes on or the petrol runs out yet, so I thought I'd have an ask on here first. 

So, should having new chain and sprockets mean better mpg?

Cheers in advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 346 days ago (13 May 2013 17:25)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

Chain losses

Hi

Yes. 

Would it be noticeable?

Maybe it would be noticeable on a powerful bike.

The efficiency difference between a nice new chain/sprocket set (ain't that a nice feeling, while it lasts?) and a shot set could be maybe 3%. 

That doesn't sound much difference, but 3% of the power kicked out by your blade is, oooo, .... noticeable.

Depending how you use the bike it might be around 3 horsepower wasted, spread over the distance to refill, that would burn more fuel. 

I wouldn't have thought you'd notice quite the difference you have said though. Not unless you literally cane the thing everywhere.

Did you change the ratio?

Reply to this Topic
benmc

Feb 09

benmc says:

standard ratios

It's all honda standard equipment so the ratios haven't been changed. 

You're right about how nice the new set feels, I thought the old one felt ok until I got the new one on! 

I was thinking it was a bit of a jump in fuel economy. I don't really cane it, but unless I'm on a motorway I'm not usually using any higher than 4th maybe 5th - rev-wise I'm not even halfway to the redline (even in a national limt..). 

Maybe I should just ride round and round til it stops! 

Reply to this Topic
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

Economy mystery

As far as I know, an x ring chain is more efficient than a standard o ring type. Also, a chain with hollow pins and high quality lightweight links will have less inertia and so accelerate with less power, but I still find it hard to believe that all this would show itself as the significant difference you mention. 

Interesting stuff though.

You not put carbon wheels on? Different tyres? A following wind? :)

Reply to this Topic
benmc

Feb 09

benmc says:

following wind

I'll go with that I think!

Reply to this Topic
Arthurshandy

Mar 13

Arthurshandy says:

Wind assisted blade.

Quote:   "

following wind

I'll go with that I think!"

Ha. The simplest explanations are usually the best.

Cheers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle