You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > VT Shadow - Compression

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JR1954

May 13

JR1954 says:

VT Shadow - Compression

I’m refitting the cylinder head on a VT Shadow 700c V twin OHC. The 700c was modified for the USA market and imported to the UK. I’ve replaced cylinder and head gaskets with ones made for the 750c as these were the only ones available and they look identical. I am unable to get any compression in either cylinder. At TDC there is clearance at the inlet and exhaust valves but as I torque the camshaft housing the gap closes and all valve springs appear to be compressed.

Is this normal with hydraulic tappets?

I would be grateful for any suggestions

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 May 2013 18:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

TDC

Are you at TDC on compression stroke??? because there are 2 tdc's on a 4stroke engine.....if you're not on the compression stroke, then both inlet AND exhaust valves will be "on the rock" ie. one just closing, and one just opening, and both springs will just be under pressure.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

On

some hydraulic tappets it depends how you store them when out of the engine (mostly stored upside down, this prevents air locking).

Remove tappets and place in a vice ,use some wood to prevent damage to the running surface of the tappet and a small socket which can be inserted into the cup of the tappet  and slowly compress so that you expel any air in the tappet itself.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
JR1954

May 13

JR1954 says:

VT Shadow Compression

It's definately on the compression stroke. Too near to be otherwise - I turned the crankshaft 360 deg just to make sure. Think the problem is with the hydraulic tappets. Thanks for your response though

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices