Skip to content

HONDA You Ask/You Answer: How can I improve acceleration? CB1000R

You are in... Forums > HONDA > CB1000R > You Ask/You Answer: How can I improve acceleration?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: How can I improve acceleration?

"I'd like a bit more acceleration from my Honda CB1000R – and I'm not really bothered about top speed (so long as it'll still cruise at 90mph). What's the best way to change the gearing – bigger rear sprocket, or smaller front sprocket, or a mix of both? "Also, will I need a new chain, and will my speedo read incorrectly...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 May 2013 09:58)

Post a message in CB1000R

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cascadeair

Nov 05

cascadeair says:

Make it easy

Buy a one tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket and put it on. Don't worry about the speedo- it takes it's reading from the front wheel. The end result will be better acceleration, and top speed require about 700 RPM more. You will use slightly more petrol, and slightly more fun, at a very reasonable price.

Reply to this Topic
sovrec

Sep 11

sovrec says:

Check the CB1000R Forum

There's a superb forum for this bike over at http://www.hondacb1000r.com This and many other questions discussed and answered. Summary thoughts below, but you will need to also consider the speedo (a 'speedhealer' device will help recalibrate it) and chain length. Great bike that's well geared out of the crate for its power - gearing down radically may give mental results !!! Latest discussions on the CB1K forum re: gearing include : Bigger sprocket on the back or smaller on the front for increased acceleration Either +2 on the back or -1 on the front to notice a difference, dont forget your speedo will be out though 1 off the front is equal to 3 on the back You will notice a minimal difference with 1 rear spocket tooth change--probably not worth doing. 2 teeth is noticeable enough to consider, but won't be earth shattering If you are unhappy with the standard gearing just put a front sprocket with one tooth less on, this will make a considerable difference with little effort. If you mess around with both sprockets then chain length may become an issue

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Me thinks....

.........rlf3 is a member of the PC brigade, only rides in high viz and never breaks the speed limit. I think he maybe better employed in the EU restricting everything that he cannot handle, then everyone is safe due to rlf3 being the most superior human on the planet, if he don't like it....we ain't doing it! wanker

Reply to this Topic
sleeping thunder

May 07

You wanna go faster?

Honda CB 1000R
Top speed

150 mph

1/4-mile acceleration

11.14 secs

Max power

130 bhp

Max torque

100 ft-lb
Ride a 125 for a week then ask yourself again.

Reply to this Topic
keepitreal288

May 13

cb1000r acceleration

where on public rds can you fully accelerate any way? im on an 02 zx9r and before im half way thru 3rd im always out of straight, junction free tarmac. If u insist on goin light speed ive heard increasing rear sprok size rather than lowering front means ur motor works less hard.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices