You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Bigger Tyre

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

fabCB

Mar 10

fabCB says:

Bigger Tyre

My Honda CB1300 runs a standard rear tyre of 180/55 I would like to replace that with a 190 section, would that size tyre upset the handling in any way?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 345 days ago (14 May 2013 21:19)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

CB1300

Hi, just wondering why you want to change the tyre size and why you would need to reset the suspension settings (re your other post) I had a CB 1300 myself up to about 2 or 3 years ago and found it handled great with original tyre sizes and factory suspension settings, (maybe there is a big difference in our body height and weight etc, of course? I am around 5'9" and 12st, fyi) I used full tyre and had to change blobs at least 2 or 3 times a year, I thought it was a great bike and loved it! 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyre change

Changing your tyre will have an impact on the handling although you'll probably have to try it see what the effect is.  It is unlikely to improve your handling.  You may also run into clearance problems between the tyre and the swing-arm and also your chain.  This would be to be carefully looked at before making the change.  I would also question why you would want to do this.  

Reply to this Topic
fabCB

Mar 10

fabCB says:

because..

The wider profile allows for more lean angle as confirmed by mcn experts on other threads but I wouldn't do it if it upsets the handling in any way.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

wider tyre

If you go for a wider tyre, you will need a shallower profile....

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

"Allows more lean angle"

"fabCB says 

because..

The wider profile allows for more lean angle as confirmed by mcn experts on other threads but I wouldn't do it if it upsets the handling in any way."

Maybe? it might give you a better lean angle but you can only lean it till it grounds out and if you cant do that with your standard tyre cant see how a wider profile would make it any easier! (and fyi I did ground mine out regularly on standard tyre)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle