You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > New Helmet

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

blokeinlondon

May 10

New Helmet

Morning.

I need a new helmet as my Shark helmet is falling apart. Its been goo for over a year and I like it but the sun visor, internal, has broken. I may try to send it back under its five year g'tee but thought that I would buy another. I went onto ebay and bought a cheap helmet with built in blue tooth but I got exactly what I paid for.. a cheap helmet! I am returning it as its heavy, wind noise is horrid and whistles as well. BT works OK at low speed but the quality of the lid gives me no confidence that it will last longer than a few months. Its going back.

So I want a new lid. A flip up one if possible with sun visor. I dont want to pay a fortune I am not into £400 lids.. Half that and thats about where I want to be. The BT connection would be nice but I think that I might need to add this later as an extra unless anyone knows of lids that come with this fitted at a reasonable price with a reasonable quality lid?

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 May 2013 10:30)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cbear

May 13

Cbear says:

New Skid Lid

I'm not an expert on crash helmets by any means, but the three I've had have all been fine for me and didn't cost the earth. If you see one you like run it through this check to see how good they are when tested:  http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ . If they get a good rating at least you know it's going to do its job. Hopefully :lol:

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

According

to a couple of helmet-people I know (people made entirely of crash helmets), the SHARP rating system needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. For example, SHARP tests just a single helmet they've gone out and purchased from somewhere, whereas other rating systems test an entire batch (10+) for an average.

SHARP also don't always use the correct size head-mould for the helmet. Helmets with different size shells require different sized 'dummy' heads so that they fit properly and don't rattle about; SHARP seem to use (roughly) the same sized head for all sizes, so some helmets that have lower ratings could well be because they didn't fit properly so didn't provide the best protection for that circumstance.

I now go on the system of "is it within my budget? Does it fit snugly? Does it feel comfortable?"

If I answer yes to all three questions and it's got the relevant EU/standard stickers, the helmet goes on my shortlist!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices