You are in... Forums > General > General > Helmet Cams

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ashley101

Apr 13

ashley101 says:

Helmet Cams

I am looking for a helmet cam, but want some reviews from owners before I go and purchase one, I'd like a HD one but not overly bothered, just got to make sure it has a good image stabilizer, what is the average price? who are the better makes? who to avoid? should i spend more than £100 or can you get a decent one for around £50, any/all info wanted, cheers :smile 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 May 2013 14:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

ActionCameras.co.uk

has a decent roundup of what it considers 'the top' helmet cams.

There are plenty of others out there but I personally wouldn't spend less than around £200 I think. You want some good quality that's not going to go kaput after a few years!

External memory cards also beneficial, and charging while in use is a useful addition.
Have a look around, see what you like the look of (and is in your budget). And I believe "VONTEN" will get you a 10% discount at actioncameras.co.uk if you get one.

Reply to this Topic
Rugbyman

Jul 08

Rugbyman says:

Helmet cam

I tried some of the cheaper ones and as zander says either the quality was poor or they packed up after 6 months.
Current using this which is giving good results and so far is coping with everything I throw at it.

It seems fairly robust and well made

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

GOPRO

seems to be what everybody is using at the track,Moto X or roads

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Helmet cam...

Gopro...:smile Don't bother with the cheap stuff, you only be disappointed with your days filming when ya get home...  cos the quality`s shite...:mad:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

just remember

to not upload to social media/YouTube or anything else.

These vids are more and more being used as evidence to convict.

Hence no on board filming and posting, unless on track but they're not keen on that

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

whoops

I just googled "Helmet cam"................:shock:

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Woo

This is what you need.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

i have a

contour plus most riders I know prefer it .. its slimmer and it fits on the lid easier

the go pro is a bit bulky

but both give excellent hd quality films

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ashley101

Apr 13

ashley101 says:

Yep

yes i completely agree zanderh to your picture but im not allowed pillions on my license yet ;)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Image stabiliser?

You can get them with image stabilisers? If it's a helmet camera your neck should absorb all the vibrations anyway and if you mount it on the bars, your mount should have rubber or something to dampen the vibration there.

Gopro is a pain for a helmet cam due to its profile. It will create wind resistance and therefore drag and pull your head back.

I have a Drift HD170 which I've recently changed from bar to helmet mount and it's pretty damn good. Ensuring it misses your speedo (and avoids too much sky) is easy as you can tilt it on the mount and the lens is rotatable to align it perfectly and get the image straight.

There are now smaller drift cameras but the way this one is shaped means I get no wind noise from it. The downside is the large battery is a definite requirement if you want it to last a few hours (3 or so) and it takes ages to charge.

The Contour ones are smaller which is a defo bonus but as I say, the larger Drift HD170 is pretty damn big and fairly heavy but I don't notice a difference mounting it on the lower part of the side of the helmet.

If you're thinking of using it for "Vlogging" then you'll need a mic separately as the external one will just pick up wind.

You have to be aware that if the camera is found by the cops after they suspect you've been riding silly, they can and will take it as evidence. Avoid your speedo as if it captures it, and you've gone over by only a bit accidentally you'll have a hell of a time. Even though you can show that the speedo isn't calibrated and therefore hopefully inadmissible as evidence in court. Also, in an accident it will show the whole truth and nothing but.

You can get ones for £50ish but they're nowhere near as good. If you want an idea, have a look at a few of the motorcycle "vloggers" on youtube. They usually say on their channel what set up they use. If I were getting another camera I'd be happy with the Drift ones. The lenses are also replaceable if they get damaged which is very handy. They also do a mount which will attach to an RIS rail on an assault rifle.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices