Skip to content

Discuss This The rules: Cleaning your bike General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The rules: Cleaning your bike

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

The rules: Cleaning your bike

The air is warm again, the tarmac shimmers and the sun strokes the back of every rider’s neck. Leathers hang patiently, helmets seem to buzz in anticipation and garage doors are poised on standby. At no point in this fantasy is it cool to walk outside in your finest attire and straddle a filthy, gunk-clad bike. Sometimes we tell ourselves a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 May 2013 10:05)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yzf07

Feb 10

yzf07 says:

jet wash

as in the picture above NEVER use a jet wash on your bike. it can damage paint work, drive out lubricants, and never use it on the chain as it can damage the ohlins. MCN u should now better than 2 show a picture like that. der.

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

Don't worry

It's not his bike so he doesn't care.

Reply to this Topic
keepitreal288

May 13

cleaning

if your bikes made at a chinese washing machine company throw it in a canal or river then fish it out. if its a 40k custom bobber buy the right gear and clean it like a new born. if like me uve something like a 3k ninja from 2002 its no doubt past its best and you probably wont keep it long so just wash it regular n keep ur chain lubed.

Reply to this Topic
keepitreal288

May 13

daughters request

Horrid Henry rocks!

Reply to this Topic
garyeldridge

Oct 11

garyeldridge says:

Power Wash on Bikes

Agreed if you don't know what you are doing - stay away from pressure washes but if you do know how to use a pressure wash safely and properly you will not do any harm to a bike anywhere - see ALLYEARBIKER who professionally use a power wash as part of their program when treating bikes.

Stay safe and happy riding.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I find when you want to remove tar spots and excess chain lube round the back of the bike that WD40 just melts it away no problem. In fact its a little known fact that WD40 can be used for lots of cleaning, even paintwork because, guess what, its main constituent is fish oil! You can use it for nettle rash too, honestly! Its also good for shining plastic and rubber but I wouldn't use it on tyres, just in case. And no, I don't work for WD40 but I've been using it for 40 years. There's an article on the net somewhere that tells you 40 different uses for it.

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

wouldn't want to damage the ohlins on my chain now would i??? Jet wash is fine, just dont be a nob with it

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Asphalt

To remove asphalt (tar is derived from coal and not crude oil, and is very rare these days), and light fraction petroleum product will work. And yes, WD-40 is very good for this - I used to use it to clean off my paving testing equipment.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Insects

When bug splattered, I spray down the front of my bike (and my lid as well) with Plexus, let them sit in the driveway for a couple of minutes, and then use the garden hose to wash off.  A second round of Plexus is then applied, and wiped off with a micro-fiber cloth.

I only ride bikes covered in a lot of plastic (Honda Dullsville, CBR600F4i, and Elite/Lead 110), so I can just slop on some car wash liquid and hose off if they get too filthy, or ones that I am fine with being filthy (Yamaha TW200).  Having a bike for appearances or spending a lot of time and effort cleaning is only for the looney.

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

WD40 and fish oil

A myth and nothing more - wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

And there's nothing wrong with using a power washer to clean your bike, the only way your going to force grease out of linkage joints is if you go point blank and direct at the linkages.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices