You are in... Forums > General > General > Best breakdown cover

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Perki6

Aug 10

Perki6 says:

Best breakdown cover

I am planning on going on some ride outs with the local Rat pack runs. I think i might need some breakdown cover for some peace of mind ( am a bit paranoid ), i have broke down once, my own fault and rotten luck terminals on battery loose and seat jammed so unable to fix , was only a mile from home  pushed it home.  

Just want something basic reasonable priced. recovery mainly to bring me back home in case of a breakdown. Tried RAC & AA a bit pricey if you ask me 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 339 days ago (18 May 2013 12:23)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

yes you are...

being paranoid...like you say,basic maintenance on the bike and they should run O.K.The main thing you would need a recovery for is in the event of a crash....but most recovery's are for silly things like flat batteries or run out of petrol.

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

Ain't

ya got free brakedown with ya insurance?

I'm with Carol Nash & get free AA cover :wink:

Reply to this Topic
Perki6

Aug 10

Perki6 says:

I have to look into my insurance ( Bennetts ) see if i have free breakdown cover. Never had a good quote from Carol Nash always want over £1000 for me

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

probably not perki6...

I couldn't get breakdown cover on my policy with Devitts,but they would cover it separately with green flag.

Reply to this Topic
Perki6

Aug 10

Perki6 says:

I think your right oldishgit - I think Bennetts does it separately with RAC

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

CHECK YOUR COVER!

Free breakdown cover with your insurance is usually very basic cover....... ie. they will only recover you ten miles or to a local garage, if it's a no-fix at the side of the road, and NOT recovery home... RAC Relay, is just that, a RELAY service. If you have to be recovered a long way, the chances are  you'll have a few driver changes on the way home... Check you are covered for accident damage,... some companies won't turn out for an accident, so check your cover. If necessary, upgrade it for peace of mind.  :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Best breakdown cover.

RAC have been brilliant for me and I get full membership cheaper by upgrading my bank account to Barclays Additions. The account also comes with travel insurance and one or two other things I don't use. See what your bank can offer.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Perki

I found auto national to be the cheapest, however I can't rate them yet as I haven't needed them.

I'm insured not the bike/car. So even if i'm pillion on someone elses bike it applies. If you don't use them in the first year it's 25% cheaper the following year.

Was with the rac a few years back, valve had gone on front wheel, told them over the phone what was wrong. Guy turns up looks at it and says "oh yeh your right", but I cant do anything because i'm not a bike mechanic!!!:huh: He did say "could you glue and ride it to a nearby garage" :shock:

Eventually another one turns up in a recovery too effing big to get down the road, so I had to ride it 50yards on the rim onto the truck.  :mad:

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

Fogie

never had any of that when I've broken down was always asked where I wanted to go & taken there.

Even in my old camper van insured with the Pru. had free B/down & taken anywhere.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

AA were useless the nice I called them

Full AA cover, so when bike wouldn't start I called them. Full details given make: Honda Fireblade, made sure they knew it was a bike not a car. Van turned up, guy says 

"Oh, it's a bike"
"Yep, I says Honda Fireblades normally are..."
"Don't normally do bikes he says" 
I suggest he gets someone who does. Clearly didn't have a clue, asked where battery was, told him under the seat,but not battery as starter was turning okay, just not firing, plus my optimate charger was showing okay.
I took seat off he then puts multi on battery and tells me it's okay, which I sort of guessed as optimate told me that without taking seat off.

He left. I later fiddled a bit more and sorted

On renewal they tried to increase fee as I'd used them. Not really, I said , as the guy was more u/s than the bike...

Good luck finding one....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle