You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Provisiional to Full error

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dutters

May 13

dutters says:

Provisiional to Full error

Ten years ago I passed my theory, CBT and test to ride a 125. This I have done with MOT, service and insurance each and every year for decade.

Last month I decided to upgrade my bike [bigger engine]. Long story short, I only have a provisional, not a full licence. Why? Because in the 2 years grace you where given to apply for your full licence, in my case 2003 - 2005, I didn't, I simply missed it.My error [it seems]

Now the DVLA are saying I need to start all over again. Can't even ride my bike i've had for 10 years until I pass a new CBT!

Made an appeal to the DVLA, no joy. With the new legislation in order to ride anything above a 125 I will need to fork out near enough 1000 pounds, CBT, tests Module 1/2 etc.

So has anyone made the same "mistake" and appealed with success to the DVLA, or any other ideas?

I don't have 1000 pounds to ride i.e. a 250 bike, even to get me legal on my 125 will be hundrerds of pounds.

Advice, help appreciated...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 May 2013 21:17)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

cbt

Passing your CBT does not give you a full license. After passing your CBT, you can ride up to a 125cc motorbike on "L" plates. You have 2 years in which to pass your FULL bike test, otherwise you will go back to a 50cc license.

Unless you have passed your car test, in which your CBT means you can ride upto a 125cc on "L" plates indefinitely.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Just do your CBT again?

Costs what? Around £80?

You were upgrading bike, so just take the £80 out of that and save for a few months then slowly start the process to full license?

Assuming you don't have car license, in which case (as above post) and i wasn't sure on that, just stay on the 125 a bit longer..

Reply to this Topic
dutters

May 13

dutters says:

Clarification on licence

Hi just for clarification: At present I want to ride bigger than a 125. So will need to take Module 1/2. Training, use of the bike plus test fees will be over 700 quid. As everyone knows can't ride anything above 125 on L plates.

Hence the reason I want the DVLA to allow my appeal. thx

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

/

what test did you pass after you did your cbt?
as just re do your cbt every 2years and keep your 125.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

If

you've been riding for 10 years (albeit on an expired license) you shouldn't need to spend anything NEAR £700... at least one lesson (maybe 2-3) at a school so they can correct any bad habits then just go straight for your tests. Costs around £125 for both Mod 1 & 2 (I think), CBT another £80 plus bike hire so you're probably looking at around £300 to go unrestricted (so long as you're > 21, which I assume you are given your decade of experience)

Reply to this Topic
dutters

May 13

dutters says:

DVLA

Thanks for the feedback: Yep just a tad over 21! Having passed all this stuff 10 years ago I'm loathed to spend hundreds of pounds just to get me back to square one.

If the DVLA would upgrade my licence retrospectively [they wouln't on appeal] I could move onto a higher cc bike.

I wanetd to know if anyone else had made this error and had the DVLA support their case...thx

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Wait

how did you manage to pass your provisional/CBT at 11 years old..??

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Answer the questions.

Did you take any tests AFTER your CBT, or have you only done your CBT??

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

2 years to upgrade

After passing a driving test....bike or car.... you must send your licence to DVLA to have the new category added. If you don't then your pass is reversed and you have to do it all again. This is why the examiner now offers to to send it away for at the end of your test. Rules are rules so i can't see any appeal being upheld:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
dutters

May 13

dutters says:

A shot

tc330, yep your right on licence laws, can't be only idiot who's ever made this error. So looking if anyone has manged to win an appeal with the DVLA.

Unlikely but worth an ask...thx

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices