Skip to content

General 1000 miles in 24 hours on a Honda C90. 21st May 2013 General

You are in... Forums > General > General > 1000 miles in 24 hours on a Honda C90. 21st May 2013

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Newtsalad

May 13

Newtsalad says:

1000 miles in 24 hours on a Honda C90. 21st May 2013

Hi, My son and I run a website dedicated to the Honda c90. 

The website has been running four years and attracted nearly 5000 members. 
On Tuesday I will be leaving Beacon Hill services to attempt an unofficial World record ride of 1000 miles covered in 24 hours, on a 23 years old, 85cc motorcycle with a top speed of 50 miles per hour.
At the same time, Mick Hall, who has made two attempts already, will be leaving Bolton in a similar attempt. Mick crashed on his first attempt two years ago breaking his wrist, and last year covered the 1000 miles in 25 hours 5 minutes.
Previously, the bike I will be using has carried me from John'O Groats to Lands End, 838 miles, in 20 hours 58 minutes, setting an unofficial record for the 'End to End' on a Honda 90.
In 2010 you may recall I travelled to the Elefantentreffen on this bike.
We have a web based tracker, which uploads our journey data every 30 seconds, via an Android application bespoke built by my son James. It gives our position, speed and direction. Our Journey history can be seen by clicking a link on the page.
Also on the page, are links to our Just Giving Pages and our supported charities. Mick is riding for Bolton Hospice, and I am riding for The Children's Air Ambulance. I am hoping to raise £2000.
The tracker will be live at 10am on Tuesday morning. There is no signup required, and no advertising. anyone can view it at;
www.newtsalad.com
If you could please give this a mention, the more people visit the tracker, the more people will make a donations.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
Jim.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 May 2013 02:34)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

Jim

The very best of luck Jim. My brother spent his last day's in Bolton Hospice so i will follow your progress. My wife and donate to Bolton Hospice on a regular basis. I will follow your progress.

Where will Mick leave from, as i live in Bolton i would like to wave him off.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

wow

good luck mate , I rode a c90 to London from Bournemouth and I thought I was hero lol., I will share this on my facebook etc all the best.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Best of luck......................

Best of luck with the attempt.  I rode a C90 back in the 80's as a second bike, and did Birmingham to Anglesey on it a few times.  Was a bit slow, but very capable.

1000 miles in 24 hours is a bit of an ask!  Need an average speed of almost 42 MPH (top speed 50 MPH, stops for petrol, plus traffic lights, roundabouts, junctions etc. it won't be easy).

Will look at the site later to see how you're getting on.

Ride safe,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

me too

I had the c90 and boy what an indestructible little machine. Hats off to you and will track the progress and donate.

Good luck:smile

Reply to this Topic
fazerphil

Mar 05

fazerphil says:

1000 mile ride

Am I right in thinking Newtsalad completed 1062 miles in 22hrs.

A truly epic ride, very well done

Can you contact me on President@ironbutt.co.uk

Philip Weston

President

IBAUK

Reply to this Topic
Newtsalad

May 13

Newtsalad says:

Thanks for the support!

Many thanks to all the posters and for their donations and good wishes!

We did indeed both complete our rides! Mick was tracked for 12hours 12 minutes and for 525 miles before his phone died.
Mick has a hardcore distance riding background, having done 5000 miles in 5 days on a Fazer. For mick the goal was a personal one, and I'm glad he succeeded at his third attempt.
For my part, I'm involved in my son's C90club.co.uk website, I love these little bikes, have had some great adventures on them, and I've taken great care that I can indeed get the ride verified by the IBA. It would be great to get this little bike the recognition it deserves!
Phil, I sent you an email this morning, before I see this post! At the mo. I'm waiting for the registration return so I can post on the forum.
I've hammered out the stats, which are on the c90club website. Basically, I covered the 1000 (Google Maps not speedo) in 22hrs 12 mins 57secs.
I went on to do 1075 in 23 hours 35 minutes, before deciding it was enough and breaking off to my welcoming at Beacon Hill Services.
My average speed was 45.012mph
79.977 seconds per mile
I used 53.17 litres of Shell V-power Nitro+ at a cost of £77.30 7.19 pence per mile.
The bike returned 20.214 miles per litre, which equates to around 91.77 MPG or 7.19pence per mile!

Reply to this Topic
Newtsalad

May 13

Newtsalad says:

Verified!

Now verified by the IBA! Received my Saddlesore 1000 cert!

Many thanks to the UK IBA for the warm welcome! :smile:smile:smile:smile

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Many congrats Newt

I hope you managed to raise the 2000 pounds for the charities  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Newtsalad

May 13

Newtsalad says:

Money raised

Well, 2K might have been a cheeky target, in the end it was £860. All for a good cause! :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices