Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Honda NSS300 Forza first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Honda NSS300 Forza first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Honda NSS300 Forza first ride

MCN's road test editor Phil West recently traveled to Spain for the launch of Honda's new NSS300 Forza scooter. Hear Phil's first impressions on their new bike aimed very firmly at city commuters.   brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 May 2013 11:53)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

"A nice place to be"

Surely a PTW that offers improved weather protection makes even more sense in mucky Cambridgeshire than sunny Spain & "cruising at 85 mph" with 300cc, QUE?

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Cruising at 85 indeed!

I agree Domster. Cruising at 85 is clearly bullshit. It may hit it but you'd be holding your breath as the engine screams and the frame flexes. Not my idea of cruising. Scooters are better for weather protection than bikes with all the extra kit you can fit to them rather than climb into yourself. These mid sized scooters are great for commuting and going a bit further afield... Got myself one of those Piaggio Beverly 350 ST scooters last winter. Wouldn't be without these kind of wheels now for tooling around on. Very useful bits of kit. This Honda deserves to do well here unless they kill it by overpricing. Hang on to your 'proper' bike though.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Did he really say that?

"But for Britain I'm not quite so sure"

So lets get this straight, is a leading light at MCN really of the opinion that a scooter is not suitable for use in Britain...?

Stuff and nonsense Mr West, just look at the sales figures.

The Forza will be perfect for people stepping up from Honda's runaway success, the PCX.

You know, the PCX, stylish little scootery thing that's so unsuited to life on Britains roads that Honda have only managed to sell about five thousand of them here.

Oh and the NSS300 engine is based on the SH300, it isn't the same engine.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

If the weather in the UK

is crap for scooters, then it's crap for bikers too, but that doesn't stop people buying bikes. The weather is not the issue, rather than an inbuilt prejudice against scooters by "real" bikers.

The thing is, car drivers can still ride a 125cc scooter on their car licence, with an L plate. They can't go up in capacity until they have a bike licence, and I would assume that most can't be bothered. I would suspect that that is part of the reason for the sales figures for sub 125cc category scooters.

As a biker, I have a scooter too, an SH300i, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. With a 35 litre top box, it's very practical, a doddle to ride, powerful enough to more than keep up with traffic, and I use it for local runs to the supermarket and other short distances where kitting up fully seems to take as long as the journey. Helmet and gloves will do fine, at least in my head, if the journey is under 10 miles or so.

If you are a biker, and have the finance, you could do worse than look at a scooter as a second bike for commuting. If all you want is a scooter, then this one will be as good as any other. If you can only afford one machine, then as a biker I would stick with a motorbike, assuming that it will still outperform the scooter!

Reply to this Topic
ramparts

Nov 05

ramparts says:

Forza

I quite like the look of the Forza but I don't like the motorcycle style handlebars.  The scooter type handlebars enclosed in plastic look far better in my view. They look like scooter handlebars and so they should.

I'd be intertested to hear from exceledsteve about his experience with the Beverly.  I currently have an X8 250 as my commuting tool but have been alarmed at how often I've had to replace the engine mounts.  They just corrode away in winter and cost over £100 to replace with labour, negating the petrol consumption benefits.  I've decided to use the car in winter and the scooter in summer.  Had any problems with the Beverly so far?  Does it get anywhere near my 80+ mpg on the X8?  I suspect it won't, as Piaggio are pushing 33 horses out of a 350 - Honda have reduced the power of the Forza by 2 to increase the mpg.

Rog

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

Ramparts...

Had the Beverly since November (2nd hand) and used most days over the winter for local commuting (10 to 30 miles/day). I reckon I get mid 60s to 70 per gallon around town. It's a really nice quality scooter... Nicely finished as scooters go and feels durable. I'm a real stickler for cleaning it though... especially when the roads were salty and I washed it down 3 times a week when the roads were at their worst. It looks new still.. No corrosion anywhere, but I've kept it like that with elbow grease and commitment. Reliable, rides nicely and has plenty of poke for town and will cruise at a genuine 70 (and I mean cruise, not flog). I love it and find it such a useful tool. I rarely take my cb1300 out as the Bev ticks all the practical boxes. I looked at lots of different scooters and feel this is the best all rounder of its type for me and, although it's early days still, I foresee a long and happy period of ownership with it.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

FORZA!

I think I may have to get one of these next year (Honda is not importing the Forza to the US until 2014).

Reply to this Topic
oldthing

Apr 09

oldthing says:

scooter

why not a scooter in this country,for short jaunts in the winter a scooter makes perfect sense, and popping into the city on a Saturday morning is a breeze, recently had a go on a honda pcx and was seriously impressed, trouble is the cbr would be jealous.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Bought one

Traded my PCX for one of these beauties, and am relieved to be able to report it is ideal for the UK.

As of 3/9/13 my local dealer had sold five of them.

Reply to this Topic
toriaoxford

May 10

toriaoxford says:

Seriously considering buying one ...

...of these beauties!  Have seen in the flesh and sat on one but not taken a test ride yet.  I've ridden the Burgy 650 in the past and also the Burgy 400 and 125  and also had the Honda Silverwing.  The ONLY reason for parting with my Burgy 650 was the weight and size of the beast and the fact that the gear changing (albeit 'automatic') was quite jerky!  I've tried the PCX and whilst it's a 'cute' little bike (if you can call such a thing 'cute'?), that blinking seat was so uncomfortable with that hump in the way - yes, I know the hump could be removed or the seat replaced!

In terms of ride, is the Forza nice and smooth and nippy?  It looks like a 'blown up' PCX and I gather that's the idea - it's the big brother of the PCX!  What is the servicing like in terms of cost?  I know that it has to have a run-in service at 600 miles and then every 8000 miles or year after that.  I'm just trying to work out running costs etc...  Any input gratefully received - from an overcast, blowy Oxfordshire .......... and I'm thinking of getting another scoot, what AM I like!!!!  Strange comment from MCN chap!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices