You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > FZX 700 Thermo switch

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Davewigham

May 13

Davewigham says:

FZX 700 Thermo switch

OK, I'm reading my Clymer manual trying to test my fan thermo switch on my old FZX 700.  The manual explains that I need to place the thermo switch in water and heat the water up to 98 degrees Celsius where resistance should be infinite on the Ohm meter, so far so good. I then have to heat the water to 105 degrees Celsius where resistance should decrease and allow current to flow then allow it to cool back through the 98 degrees point where resistance should return in infinite. My question is;  How do I heat water to 105 degrees Celsius ? what am I not understanding?

Thanks, Dave Wigham. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 May 2013 09:32)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

You need

a container.

It's entirely possible to heat water to 105°c, all you need is some kind of container to increase the pressure (it's how pressure cookers work - they allow the pressure to build up so the water boils hotter). The higher the pressure, the higher the boiling point.

Not easy with household equipment but certainly possible.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi Davewigham

You do not have to use water to carry out a test on such a component,.

You are only looking for the components ability to turn an electrical circuit on and off.

Connect your multimeter to the terminals of the thermo switch (I believe they are called thermistors) and carefully heat the bulb of the component with a naked flame a change in reading should occur reasonably quickly.

If you have the equipment available to measure the true temperature whilst heating the bulb then so much the better.

Reply to this Topic
ozbike

Feb 08

ozbike says:

in hot water

water can be heated to 105 without the need of a pressurised container the misunderstanding here is that because water begins to boil at about 99/100 you can't get it any hotter, this is wrong water can be made to boil at higher temp by adding something to it like any form of coolant/antifreeze (which also act as anti boil)  the pressurised container (i.e. a radiator) simply raises the boiling point further making it practicable to run engines at a more efficient temperature just tried to get 'plain' water hotter but failed at about 102 C.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Davewigham

May 13

Davewigham says:

FZX 700 Thermo switch

Thank  you Smidget ;  an intelligent reply, thank you. I had considered this but I was trying to follow the manual diagrams and instructions. I've got the use of thermo probes and IR temp data loggers here at work in the lab so I'll give it a try with a cool flame if my lab rat can't get it done with the kit. Yes it is correctly called a thermistor, electrical resistance decreases and temperature increase just like the switch that turns the fridge motor on/off. My lab rat (bless her) has spent the morning setting up an autoclave to do this with new pressure seals for the ohm meter wires as an experiment for the students.

I haven't told them where the thermistor came from or the real aim of the work.....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Davewigham

May 13

Davewigham says:

FZX 700 Thermo switch

This post is obviously dragging the functional skills students out isn't it! All those hours watching Fred Dibna wasn't wasted for them......

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Thermistor

You could always add something to the water to raise the boiling point??

What temp does engine coolant boil at? What about salty water?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices