Skip to content

Discuss This Would you support an instant driving ban for mobile phone use while driving? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would you support an instant driving ban for mobile phone use while driving?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you support an instant driving ban for mobile phone use while driving?

Talking on the phone while driving is responsible for an alarming number of biker injures and deaths. But does the law need toughening up on the subject? How would you feel about a one-strike proceedure, where it would, if caught, immediatly cost your licence?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 May 2013 10:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
paultheexscientist

Oct 07

Be careful what you wish for. Instant ban for what next? Messing with the radio, lighting a cigarette, using a sat nav...... Maybe picking your nose, talking to passengers, having kids in the car? Bans all round. I am a motorcyclist, I know that there are safer ways to travel, and a load of idiots on the road, I accept that, my choice.

Reply to this Topic
Sehp

Sep 12

Sehp says:

I think a ban is a little harsh, they may do it once in their life, sure it could cause an accident, so maybe a 3 month suspension, or a 1 month suspension. And then you could have a domino effect, 1month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year ban, 2 year ban etc

Reply to this Topic
gimpshavehomes

Jan 04

I'd vote for a sharp smack in the chops with a shovel.

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

mobile use

i think its the vast majority of motorists/mcyclists pet hate  most would clap if the penaltys were  raised.100 pounds ist time every time after doubling each time.if doing it with kids in the car 500 pounds fine ist offence.sad to see the way some are totaly addicted to mobiles .so much so some muppets have to have one in there hand when driving.

Reply to this Topic
Tetley

Aug 02

Tetley says:

A ban is too severe and impossible to monitor.  Time for UK to introduce On-The-Spot Fines. £50 for first offence, £100 for second, £150 for third, increasing by an additional £50 for each subsequent offence.

If caught when driving a commercial vehicle ( Transit size and upwards ) OTS fine should be £100 for first offence and an additional £100 for each subsequent offence.

Speed cameras should be converted to photograph EVERY vehicle and those with driver on the phone should get fined.

Reply to this Topic
Kenskoi

Feb 12

Kenskoi says:

Why shbould we NOT ban them for a first offence Tetley? Do they use the phone by mistake??? No they choese to use it and in doing so put the lives of other road users at risk. Hopfully the government are going to put the fines up to £90 but unfortunatly the points are going to stay at 3. Profesional drivers are able to be find up to £2000 but it is never if ever used.

Sehp, that one accident my be a member of your family and it may be that you never see that member of your family alive again, would you still feel they should be allowed a second chance? that member of your family may not be given a second chance.

Paul, if doing any or all of these acts causes you to lose control of your vehicle them it is an offence and some (But not all) of these acts are getting reviewed with a view to raising the fins at this very moment in time.

At the present moment in time you can be fined £75 on the spot fine for dropping litter in Leeds city center I may be wrong but I don't think many innocent members of the public are killed by people dropping litter but you don't have to look to hard to find innoent members of the public that are killed and mameg by inconsiderate drivers that think their PHONE CALLl is more important than someones life. I suppoer a ban for the first offence or it will only get worse.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

farce......

This is pure farce.....Way too many laws in this Country...not enough intelligence. Those with half a brain would realize the danger. If you actually look, you would see the vast majority of drivers either use the phone, eat drink and do the crossword, Smoke in their Van, Don't wear a seatbelt.... whats more.... most don't give a flying fuck.....until they are convicted.....for a few days, for killing a fellow human. Time and Time again these laws prove....... Farcical.

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

+1 Kenskoi.

Phone use at the wheel is a deliberate choice, and most phone use is non-essential anyway. It's not as if there's no such thing as voicemail, or no such thing as laybys, or no service areas where you can stop an return that oh-so-important call. It's hard to see how there could be any mitigating circumstances. Why not a ban, even for a first offence?

If you're running late for work, you're not going to get there any quicker by phoning your boss to say you're going to be late. You're still going to be late, just like 15 years ago when you didn;t even have a mobile phone. Tweeting about it won't make the traffic miraculously clear up. Posting on Facebook about how much you hate traffic jams isn't going to help, and neither is spending the rest of the journey glued to your phone in case someone replies 'lol'.  

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

I find it

hard to believe that people running a car cannot afford £25 for a cheap Bluetooth hands-free device that clips on to the sunvisor.  Anyone who doesn't have Bluetooth on their phones these days probably has a pretty old phone and is unlikely to feel the pressing need to answer a call on the move anyway.

What about banning smoking in cars?  When I worked in the motor-trade, most smoker's cars had at least a couple of fag burns on the driver's seat from where they'd dropped their tab.  I've done it myself, and when there's a lit cigarette burning your nut-sac, it does tend to distract one somewhat from the core business of driving  ;)

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Bloody mobiles

Yep, I would.  Six month ban plus £1000 fine for a second offence.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices