Ask an Expert 1999 Yamaha R6 Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > 1999 Yamaha R6

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

AlwaysRunning

May 13

1999 Yamaha R6

Hey guys, first off I'm new to this forum, and have some queries about a bike I'm buying next week. (so bare with me) 

It's a 1999 R6 and has done 15,700 miles, which is very low for a 14 year old bike. No damage to the fairings etc. But it has literally no service history, apart from one stamp in the book. The MOT's go back till about 2009 and that's about it.

I've read the reviews on MCN and they say Yamaha to keep costs down used, 'lesser' quality components for some of the parts on the bike. Which is clear as some of the bolts holding the under tray and around that area have rusted.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to look out for on these older R6's, for example badly made collector box etc. I would really appreciate your time and knowledge.

I've been reading MCN for years now, and can see myself using this forum for the years to come. Thanks!

The photo is the bike in question

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 May 2013 11:02)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

R6

A bonkers 600 and huge fun to ride.  The head bangers choice in it's day. 

All bikes suffer furry fasteners and no manufacturer is immune from that.  In some cases it doesn't matter how well you clean them either - they'll rust anyway.  You can always replace them with stainless.  How are the exhaust downpipes?  These are a lot more expensive to replace and are often neglected as they are hidden away under the fairing.  Very few 14-year old bikes will have survived without any rust (Unless they have been owned by me :lol:) so have a good look round.

If it has no service history assume that it has not been serviced.  No matter what the seller says as far as you are concerned it has not seen the inside of a workshop unless their is proof to the contrary.  Also, being an R6, assume it has been ridden in a 'spitited' fashion.  Not that this should be a problem if well looked after as its what the bike was designed for but this will have an impact on consumables such as tyres and brake pads etc - not to mention the chain and sprockets. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

R6

If the bodywork is pristine, but the wheels are chipped to hell, then it's been raced. Also check for bolts that have been drilled to take lockwire..

Reply to this Topic
AlwaysRunning

May 13

R6

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think to look at the downpipes, but I'll be sure to have a once over again before I put cash in his hand.

I may just give this one a miss and try and find one a better one, as I hate the 99's rear lights :tongue:

Thanks again mate

Reply to this Topic
AlwaysRunning

May 13

R6

And I'm not sure about the wheels as they have been sprayed white :ph43r:

I don't know what to do..

Thanks

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy