Skip to content

Discuss This Can Valentino Rossi rediscover winning touch in Mugello? MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Can Valentino Rossi rediscover winning touch in Mugello?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Can Valentino Rossi rediscover winning touch in Mugello?

There was once a time when the MotoGP field would arrive in Mugello wondering who was going to finish second behind home favourite Valentino Rossi.The hugely popular Rossi was unbeatable on home soil at the spectacular Mugello track where he notched an incredible seven straight victories between 2002 and 2008Since that last win in ’08 on a podium shared with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 May 2013 12:52)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

Still the GOAT?

Rossi might not be the greatest rider of the present era but in my book he is the greatest of all time. I should know because I am old enough to remember Agosini, Sheen, Roberts, Rainey,Lawson, Doohan and Gardner. The only rider that has come close is Mike the Bike. Instead of knocking him and saying he should retire and over the hill these guys should be thinking at least i will have something to tell my grandchildren that I was around when Rossi raced. I say good luck to him at Mugello, and hope  he wins

Reply to this Topic
BlackCircles

May 13

BlackCircles says:

+1 ratchetman

Well said.....totally agree  :O)

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Ratchetman

Rossi. The greatest of his era and one of the greatest riders of all time. I can't see him walking away, at least until his contracts up but he needs a win soon.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Don't you just love it when turncoat's come on here saying they are ex- Rossi fans, as if it qualifies what they say..?

Natural born losers...

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

He can, but he won't. Every generation of riders get better. If you let Maverick Vinales or Scott Redding try an RCV factory bike. They will run top 4 in testing as well. MM is the one that is so talented that he goes no1 in testing right away. Most talented rider i have ever seen.

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

Ex Rossi fan

Hang on in there with hope mate coz the gold leaf is flaking away

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

What a muppet..

Longest straight? right because thats what a race track is eh? just one big 1/4 mile?. For someone who blithers on and on in forums, spouting out his supposed knowledge of motogp, you gotta shake your head at this last comment. The Yamahas WILL be up there, despite Wosi's Moaning (ironic).

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

No matter what rossi is the best that ever was...when he was jorge's (and casey's, and dani's age he had won 5 motogp titles on the trot...the"new" guys are very talanted, but back to back titles is very difficult, as these supposed "better-than-rossi's" are starting to realize. People say rossi had no competition during his reign...i say he was just so much better than the competition...something todays stars cant replicate....

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Back to Back Titles Now and Then.

Only a few people refuse to recognise Rossi's achievements in GP racing, and I suspect most of those blokes are just taking the piss outta wosi and co. To say that Rossi had to battle with great competition during his first 5 titles is also being disingenuous. In my opinion, and the record books will back me up, you can't compare Gibernau, Roberts Jr, Biaggi and Checa, with Lorenzo, Marquez, Pedrosa and Stoner. These younger riders had to battle amongst themselves and also against the 'GOAT' right off the bat. To replicate 5 titles on the trot for these guys is a tall order with the calibre of riders they have to battle with week in week out. Had Rossi shown up 5 years ago in this series, I doubt he'd be able to replicate it either, especially having to use the same tyres as the others with no overnight specials. Having said that, Rossi did make the most of the special treatment he received and so annihilated the old guard. His dominance ended with the arrival of Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo and tyre parity rules. That's life.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

He was a standout talent... in a sea of mediocrity!

It's arguable that he was even as good as other riders when he won his last two championships but I'll admit he still had to ride the bike (with DORNA homologated, 'limited edition only' accessories of course).

He is not and was not better than any other riders since 2006 and in all seriousness will be remembered mostly for being a two-faced manipulative clown who liked to play dress-up for the 12 year olds who believe popularity is directly proportional to skill.

So far his Yamaha results are barely better than his two years at ducati despite it being an easier bike to ride and with less competition on track such as Stoner and the original human scud, Simoncelli. Thus using only the facts as they lay, it's quite accurate to say that the last year in which this so-called 'goat' was competitive, is way back in 2009. The sooner he makes way for more deserving riders and Caramello drops off the perch, the sooner the competition will settle back towards true world championship status where we might see someone other than the same old riders in with a chance. If it means a loss of popularity for the sport, I couldn't give a fuck but if it means not having to listen to fuckwits drawl on with 5 minutes worth of motorcycling knowledge picked up from this and other sites that survive with 'will Flo have a shit before or after breakfast' type surveys, then I can't fuckin' wait!

A win or two this season? Like someone said, fuckin' good odds if you're a betting man but either way, Ago is smiling while the excuses flow in from all corners. About the only question left to be asked about the bloody ponce is whether or not he'll see out his 2 year contract and if it's a lack of balls or the onset of reality that sways his decision the most?

The chance of a pole in (the) Assen will once again be the highlight of the year for him and his fans.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices