Skip to content

Ask an Expert How much difference does upgrading your air filter from Stock to K&N make Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > How much difference does upgrading your air filter from Stock to K&N make

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

leo19

Oct 05

leo19 says:

How much difference does upgrading your air filter from Stock to K&N make

I am running a  kawasaki ER6n - fully stock - would changing my air filter to a K&N or pipercross ake much difference to performance?

would i need to change anything else? e.g fuelling??

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 329 days ago (24 May 2013 13:50)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

K&N

Don't waste your money. If you're after any performance increase, you'd be better off cleaning and re-oiling your OE filter.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

K&N

Unlikely to see a performance enhancement from just changing the filter tbh, so no adjustment necessary.

Saying that, you now have a re-usable filter :smile add a aftermarket pipe, remap, then you should notice a performance increase.

Good luck with the upgrades
unit.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Aftermarket filter

An aftermarket filter will make little or no difference to performance although it will lean the mixture a little as most are more free flowing than standard.  They need to be used in conjunction with other tuning mods for any real performance increase.  I have one on my FZS1000 and it runs fine with it.  The only real advantage is the cost saving over disposable filters as they can be cleaned and re-oiled.  I think my K&N is supposed to last for 1,000,000 miles or something silly like that.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ER6

The ER6 has a re-useable foam air filter as standard.

Reply to this Topic
eitematt

Apr 13

eitematt says:

k and n

Won't need to change anything else although some advise it to notice a small performance boost.

On my zx6r with a k n n filter to be honest i noticed LITTLE to no difference. But i would still recommend them for simplicity of servicing/cleaning, particularly if you like to be thorough and clean more regularly than the service intervals.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

K&N filter

I put one in my ZZR1200, noticed no difference in performance, but the bike should never need a new filter again. Just a wash and re-oil, and job done. Apparently, genuine K&N cleaning/re-oiling kit is expensive.......

Reply to this Topic
viaciofano

Nov 04

viaciofano says:

right for fueling

you are right in that there is no gain in power unless you have more fuel. if you fit a filter which puts more air in, then more fuel is needed. i always weigh up the cost of upgrade against buying another bike. it is best to keep your bike standard. upgrade to another bike after some experience.
the normal mods if you want to go are exhaust jetting and carburation.
i would also say that the most important cost and most cost efficient is you. i have tackled bigger bikes and won through ability to handle my bike. when you are confident in handling your bike. in the corners, in stopping and accelerating. this is another way that money can be spent. it is far more effective spending money on you rather than another bike. you will be more confident in your every day ride.
there was a good video link from rossi explaining the lines to take on the track. explaining the lines, the times to accelerate, the times to brake. this helped me to understand more about my bike on the road and how to handle the bike with the conditions.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

k n

The bike ALREADY has a re-useable filter, that you should wash in petrol, then re-oil it at every service. There is NO money saving by buying a K&N.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle